The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 PM

mtboiler will become famous soon enoughmtboiler will become famous soon enough
Default Raft set up/frustration/ Help

Ok, so I wade with a Mountain Smith Day pack....waist pack. Hard to translate to a raft. When I take my kayak, I typically dump that pack in a soft sided cooler, and then put a box or two in a small bag that clips to the back of my seat...which actually works pretty well. I don't have that bucket on my raft and the cooler is a little big for the seat area I have.

So what I am looking for is something like the small bag for a raft? Any suggestions? Do have a new fly box that is just for river fishing, one or two of each. I also have a little pouch to hold a beverage or garbage that could work as well.

Just looking to see what you guys do.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 PM

oldfatman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Raft set up/frustration/ Help

I clip the waist pack to the side rail next to my seat. Pack sets on top of the tube- easy to access. Pull it up on my lap if I need to.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:16 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Raft set up/frustration/ Help

If it gets a little wet in your raft I'd go with a water proof bag. I spent years looking back to see my fly vest floating in water and just couldn't deal with the sight anymore. I have something called an "aquaknot" that doesn't break the bank but is waterproof for sure. It isn't as fancy as a Simms or Patagonia waterproof boat bag but it does the trick. It's also a backpack so you can lash it to any part of the raft or throw it over your shoulder for either a portage or a pull-over to fish. I've had mine for years and have no complaints since it's big enough to throw in a rain jacket and lunch to boot. On the other hand, my good buddy just throws a backpack in a garbage bag so there ya go! (and for the record it gets wet every trip--somehow that garbage bag just never seems to stay on the whole float)