The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Western Wyoming Float Trip

Yesterday I made it out for another local float, it was an early get up, I wanted to be at the boat ramp at 5:30 am at the latest, this is a long stretch of water and I had to be back home for a 6 pm dinner engagement, besides in the back of my mind I wanted to be off the water before the late afternoon thunderstorms started brewing. Lately we have been getting hammered with the late afternoon storms, but I can't complain as the hay farmers are loving all the moisture. The night before I got the truck all packed up to speed things up in the morning, so after a quick breakfast and packing the lunch, coffee and water bottles we headed out the door.
The designated water:
Click the image to open in full size.

The boat all loaded, including my dog "Run Around Sue (RAS)", she loves chasing the birds along the sand bars. Shes learning to pace herself, the last trip out she was totally exhausted when we got home, it took two days for her to recover fully.
Wyoming Rainbow:
Spotted this dead fish in the water, made me sick to see such a beautiful fish in this condition, had to wonder what happened.
Nice little Brown trout:
Another small Brown trout:
Same fish, different view:
and another small Brown trout:
This fish was something special, I had climbed up on a high bank, maybe 4 ft above the water's edge and I was in maybe 3 ft tall grass, on the first cast out, I see this silver torpedo out of the corner of my eye racing toward the streamer I had just tossed into the water. As he was approaching the fly, another fish of about the same size was right behind him. After setting the hook, he bolted down stream and got snagged on a root wad in the bottom. The water was too deep and fast to try and wade in and free the line, so at first I tried giving slack to see what would happen, but that didn't work. I then tried to throw a roll cast across the stream and then up stream in the hopes of freeing the line from the snag. After what seemed like an eternity, I was finally successful in getting the line free from the snag.
Another view:
All in all a great day on the water, with a mix of streamer fishing and a little dry fly action when the hatches started to come off. We made it off the water on time, but I had to row the last three miles without doing any fishing, but the big issue was the smell. RAS must have rolled in the remains of a dead animal as she stunk to high heaven. We drove back home with the windows down and the fan on full blast. When we got back to the house, I had to air out the truck, put the horse blanket out in the yard to air out and gave RAS a good bath. We threw out the old bed sheet that we use to cover the back seat of the truck with, the GF didn't want to put it in the washing machine. LOL!

Last edited by mcnerney; 07-07-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:46 AM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Western Wyoming Float Trip

Great trip report, and great pic's. Good looking water you floated on.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Nice trip report Larry. What a pretty stretch of water.
I love your boat. Looks like your dog does too.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Nice trip report Larry. What a pretty stretch of water.
I love your boat. Looks like your dog does too.
Jimmie: Thanks! Bring your NFO boat out and we can float it together, it truly is an awesome stretch of water to float and fish!

Old 07-07-2013, 05:03 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

WOW Larry you da man!! Great pictures and that last brown is an absolute monster. Beautiful, and full-sized Yellowstone Cutts too!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
WOW Larry you da man!! Great pictures and that last brown is an absolute monster. Beautiful, and full-sized Yellowstone Cutts too!
Thanks! I'm pretty fortunate to be living in western Wyoming with so much water to explore. I've only lived here a year and have barely scratched the surface, but it sure is fun exploring! I just wish I was younger, I'd be spending my summers up in the Winds hitting all those lakes!
mridenour likes this.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Great pics Larry !
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Larry A really nice stretch of River also some nice Fish as well.
Brian
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 AM
mridenour

Man that really gets my blood going! Only 4 more days till we leave Missouri for Wyoming! It is getting hard to sleep at night.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:54 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Great pics! Keep them coming. Looking forward to pics of the Winds.

Chris
mcnerney likes this.