The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By slicedog
  • 1 Post By slicedog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road
Default Poudre River in ft Collins

Wanted to give y'all a report since i fish it often. The tuber hatch is on! All other hatches are not. Fished afternoon into evening. Flows around 70. A few pmds coming off the water. Caddis were not to be found, yet they fed on the flies ok. Red copper johns are not working at all this year. They were hot last year. Caught 10 in all, largest was around 13 inches. Size 16 graphic caddis, 16-18 buckskins and size 18 RSII were successfull. Overall it has not fished well this year, which is to be expected after the fires last summer. Water is still off color most likely due to the mudslides recently. It is a shame too, because the bottom was looking really good and free of debris from the decent flows this spring. The number of fihs has declined as well. Last year i was catching 20-30 fish regularly, and the size of the fish overall has decreased. Thanks for reading!
mridenour likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poudre River in ft Collins

Slicedog, thanks for the update. I was wondering how the bugs would fare this year after the big fire last year. The tuber hatch will never cease.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Siltation and deposition are some of the results that follow these massive fires. The rains wash the ash and soil away with no ground cover to hold things together. I saw that one of my old haunts in Colorado has been completely inundated with mud and ash when I was there just this past Wednesday.

Until I had fished the lower S. Platt River after the Hayman Fire a few years back I had not ever considered the aftermath of a fire in relation to stream deposition. There was a huge silt load from Deckers on down river and I caught very few fish. I have always thought I would have been better off had I taken my old gold pan and sniffer bottle with instead of my fly rod.

I hope things get better quickly for you, have you tried the N. Fork lately?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 AM

Just a update for intown poudre fishermen! Flows lately have been really good, bringing colder water down through town, making the fish a lttle more active. Nymphing and dry fly fishing have been slow, but bwo's are starting to come off late in the day, with still some caddis mixed in too. There are still a lot of insects on the undersides of the rocks despite the silt. Lots of BWO's and a lot of small caddis cases that i haven't seen before. Maybe seing a shift in insects due to the fires? Streamer action is the name of the game though right now as the turbid waters are reducing visability. White sculpzillas are what's getting it done for me. Lots of Cuttbows it seems east of mulberry specifically below the spill way just east of lemay. Fished it four times recently and haven't seen a brown at all. Upstream however it seems like ther eare more of the browns. Looks like most of the bigger fish have died. I am finding it hard to get a fish over 12 inches right now. The ones that survived though are all fat and in good condition. Tight lines!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:12 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

Thanks slice! I mostly fish it up in the canyon. I have found that unless I get above the burn area (stove prairie or higher) the fishing is not what it used to be. The silt has really taken a toll on the trout habitat in many of the old "sure thing" spots. I don't really know if the fish died or moved. I had a pretty good morning on Saturday up closer to Century Park. I caught about 7 fish per hour (12-15 inch) and a friend along caught about 2 per hour. I was primarily fishing dropper and he was dry. Some VERY fishy water we wet waded yielded far fewer fish than you would think. Flows are getting lower/warmer, and the fish I caught were not big fighters. Some nice takes though! All in all, I'd say considering the damage the fire did (and continues to do with mud slides etc) the Poudre is fishing pretty well if you know how to read water.

Last edited by jslo; 09-01-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-03-2013, 12:12 AM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

Another update, I fished today in the lower canyon and did quite well. Water was running pretty clear, and about 115cfs. I fished a #12 tan caddis and caught about 9 fish per hour. All 'bows, one pretty brown. For a stretch of deeper water I tied on a dropper- Ish's Drunken Hopper (in fact on Saturday I caught almost all my fish on that dropper) but even there in the deeper run the fish were taking on top. So I nipped it off for another day and stuck with my friend Mr. Caddis lol. All in all about 20 fish to the net all in the 10-15 inch range, and all but one on the dry caddis. I caught 3 or 4 of them swinging the caddis through downstream riffles below where I stood. Pretty good day on the river, CLP starting to fish nicely. Here's a couple pics and a link to an article on Ish's drunken hopper...he ties some sweet flies!

Click the image to open in full size.

Ish's Drunken Hopper

Article by Eric Ishiwata on his Drunken Hopper (click link)
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 AM

Jslo, I see you visit St. Petes or at least the website blog lol! haha Nice fish. Yeah i haven't been up the canyon much this year. Don't know why really, maybe because i have been trying to fish different water this year. Maybe because i am holding on to the past and the great fishing in town just hoping overnight things will change haha.
jslo likes this.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:04 AM

Yeah totally. It's pretty much the only shop in town. I like the shop, good guys/girls working and running it.

I have a busy week at work but will probably be back on the river Friday!

Sometime we should do a home and away series. I have never had much luck fishing in town to be honest, although I hear there is good fishing in spots! I'll fish with you in town, you fish with me and some guys I usually go with in the canyon lol.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:08 AM

That would work for me! Just giving you a hard time about the shop. Ish has a guest blog on the st petes website about the drunken hopper lol. May be a while before town starts to fish well again. Just not enough fish right now, though conditions might be right for some big ones to grow since there are a lot of bait fish around now that have a lot less predation on them.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:00 PM

you see the CLP cfs? wow talk about dropping off a table...I think it's around 40cfs right now. When I fished it Monday it was around 150cfs...