The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How are the water levels?

dhayden........thanks for the posts.......it is nice to have a local, to provide up to the minute information on stream conditions.....

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 07-19-2013, 09:47 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Gallatin: Very nice... need to try the valley section - see if there's hopper action yet (which is a little early).. nice PMD, Caddis and Yellow Sallies action
All music to my ears. Thank you sir!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 07-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Boy,

That's what I call results! You guys did a great job on answering the original post. Just another example of this community at work helping one another!

Bravo

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-20-2013, 10:17 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

In the paper today:

High water temperatures and low flows on the Madison and Big Hole rivers have prompted state officials to restrict fishing on portions of those waters.

Beginning July 22, no fishing will be allowed from 2 p.m. to midnight on the lower Madison River from Ennis Dam (east of McAllister) to the mouth and on the upper Big Hole River from the headwaters outside Jackson to Dickey Bridge.

Fishing to be restricted on parts of Madison and Big Hole rivers - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Environment
Old 07-20-2013, 07:32 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
In the paper today:

High water temperatures and low flows on the Madison and Big Hole rivers have prompted state officials to restrict fishing on portions of those waters.

Beginning July 22, no fishing will be allowed from 2 p.m. to midnight on the lower Madison River from Ennis Dam (east of McAllister) to the mouth and on the upper Big Hole River from the headwaters outside Jackson to Dickey Bridge.

Fishing to be restricted on parts of Madison and Big Hole rivers - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Environment
Yeah, it's looking like it's going to be a really tough summer. I'm disappointed.
Water temps on the lower G, Smith, Jeff routinely hitting the high 70s.
If the temps don't moderate we are going to see some wide ranging closures again like we did during the worst of the drought years.

I'm too lazy to look up the Big Hole's guidelines for closure but it won't surprise me if they close the whole thing again when it gets down under 200cfs at Melrose.
It's already hitting the mid 70's down there. Sad.

Meanwhile I'm in Minnesota and it won't stop raining here.
The Mississippi should be half as big as it is. The smallmouth fishing has been tough though the fish that are eating are big.
I'm going to hit up Wisconsin for a couple days next week before coming back to Montana, assuming the north country doesn't get nailed by another huge deluge and the rivers all blow out, again.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:41 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Yeah it sucks. There are bound to be a lot of closures this summer. The Clark Fork went over 70 last week at Superior ... but that section is already closed due to the fire that keeps on growing down there. It's mid July for crying out loud!

I guess it shouldn't be surprising, peak run-off was a full month early and so it fire season.

I did find some really cold water today, which made me feel good all the way around...and that was before I caught a couple nice cutties. I had to work for it, but it was great.

Fish early, guys. It really is the only safe time, when daytime temps peak at 5 or 6 pm water temps don't peak until after that. So when the sun is sinking and the fish are feeding try to let them be if its warm water. They are really vulnerable at that time. The water temps don't bottom out till early a.m.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
I hope so......Mid sept, was the only time my son could take vacation......I would have preferred late October on the Madison.......maybe I can do one of those "rain dances" and send some of our eastern monsoon moisture out west.......we have more rain here than we can handle this year........sometimes it either feast of famine.........
Do it, man!! Dance your ass off for me!
Old 07-21-2013, 02:08 PM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Yeah it sucks. There are bound to be a lot of closures this summer. The Clark Fork went over 70 last week at Superior ... but that section is already closed due to the fire that keeps on growing down there. It's mid July for crying out loud!

I guess it shouldn't be surprising, peak run-off was a full month early and so it fire season.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Do it, man!! Dance your ass off for me!
Ouch ! That sure doesn't bode well for fishing conditions during my early fall (late Sept/early Oct) fishing trip plans in the Northern Rockies this year. Hopefully there will still be some reasonably good access to a few streams out that way in a couple months ?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:54 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaker488 View Post
Ouch ! That sure doesn't bode well for fishing conditions during my early fall (late Sept/early Oct) fishing trip plans in the Northern Rockies this year. Hopefully there will still be some reasonably good access to a few streams out that way in a couple months ?
Late September / early October will be fine. Once the nights start getting longer in late August the water temps regulate. Right now its the low water combined with the above average heat (high 80s to 90) that causes problems.

Where are you coming to in the fall?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:29 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Where are you coming to in the fall?
I will definitely be in your "neck of the woods" in SouthWestern Montana with top priorities being the Beaverhead, the Big Hole, and the Gallatin. Now I never have any luck in the Gallatin, but it's one of the best streams for wading (that's what I do), and the Gallatin River Canyon is such spectacular scenery, frankly it ain't no big deal if I strike out with the trout. And as you know
Rock Creek is a really good stream where I've had success, but so much pressure being so close to Missoula.
But since I'm flying into SLC this year I expect to also hit the Provo down there and maybe a couple places in between in Idaho and/or Wyoming.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Yikes.. saw this.. didn't bother going out yesterday:

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 06052500 Gallatin River at Logan MT

Wish they all had temperature data..