The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 09:01 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How are the water levels?

Yesterday, drove across the lower Gallatin near Logan.. it looked really low..
Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

"Hoot-owl" restrictions are eminent on the Clark Fork and Bitterroot, in fact most fisherman have already volunteered to stop fishing after 1pm. Water temps went over the magical 73 degree mark for 4 or 5 consecutive days on each rivers lower end last week. Bitterroot is just scary low, I wish that FWP would just put a mandatory restriction in place. The river has too much pressure and fishing in the evening puts a dangerous stress on the fish.

I think the Big Hole is close to, isn't it?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:01 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Here's the current list:

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Fishing & Waterbody Restrictions, Closures & Reopenings
dean_mt likes this.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:59 PM

More closures starting tomorrow.. see the link in post #20
Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
"Hoot-owl" restrictions are eminent on the Clark Fork and Bitterroot, in fact most fisherman have already volunteered to stop fishing after 1pm. Water temps went over the magical 73 degree mark for 4 or 5 consecutive days on each rivers lower end last week. Bitterroot is just scary low, I wish that FWP would just put a mandatory restriction in place. The river has too much pressure and fishing in the evening puts a dangerous stress on the fish.

I think the Big Hole is close to, isn't it?
Do you think that folks would adhere to the restrictions?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:04 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
Do you think that folks would adhere to the restrictions?
Hey Dan!
Yeah, I think most folks do. All you can do is trust in the people. The fact is, its pretty hard to catch fish when the water is 74 degrees and its also pretty share to hide when you're rig is the only one in the parking lot.

Looking forward to October a little more every day.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:41 AM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Hard to believe that river water can get so warm.

I think about the trip every day. I'll give you a call soon to bring you up to date on the details.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:25 PM

The Bitterroot River is a trickle today. The irrigators and heat are taking their tolls, the mid-river is flowing just over 100 cfs ... which is insanely low. I don't even want to see it like that. Autumn can't come fast enough now...at least some showers and cold nights.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:29 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
The Bitterroot River is a trickle today. The irrigators and heat are taking their tolls, the mid-river is flowing just over 100 cfs ... which is insanely low. I don't even want to see it like that. Autumn can't come fast enough now...at least some showers and cold nights.
As one who's intently interested in upcoming weather/stream conditions in western Montana in the early Fall because of my planned visit, let me ask a couple questions and I hope I don't sound too dumb here. But I understand that as we get into September we can expect relief from high temps, but what about the stream water levels ? Do you expect them to be higher simply because there's less draw-down from irrigation in September, because that area won't be getting any significant precip until later on from winter snows, right ?
Old 08-10-2013, 05:33 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I'm with Jim here.........I am concerned with a 100 mile radius of West Yellowstone........I like to fish, but I will not risk the catch......just for the reward...........coming out sept. 7 to the 13........any input would be greatly appreciated........

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton