The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 09:37 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How are the water levels?

The Big Hole is now closed from Melrose down.

It's still open from the North Fork to Melrose. I'm assuming it's just days away from the whole thing being closed.
It's running 141cfs at Melrose right now.

This weather sucks. I am SO not looking forward to being inundated with forest fire smoke. It hasn't happened to Bozeman yet but it's just a matter of time.

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/drought/waterClosure.html
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

The Blackfoot is at 550 cfs, at 500 FWP is going to assess the situation. The Lolo creek fire complex about 10 miles from my living room, is now the number 1 priority fire in the nation, continuing to move toward more homes. It grew to 9000 acres in two days. So it just keeps getting crappier here!

On a positive note, everyday gets shorter and night longer. It almost dark and just 9 pm here. Longer nights means cooler nights and lower water temps and hopefully less fire.
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

I just got from the Wind River Range in Wyoming and on the last day the area I was in was choked with smoke. A ranger at the trailhead said the smoke was from the Idaho fire, but that's a long ways away. Must be one nasty fire.

The sky is cloud free in this picture. A wall of huge mountain peaks should be visible in the background. But the smoke blocks the view. Nasty........I was glad to be walking out on this day.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
The Blackfoot is at 550 cfs, at 500 FWP is going to assess the situation. The Lolo creek fire complex about 10 miles from my living room, is now the number 1 priority fire in the nation, continuing to move toward more homes. It grew to 9000 acres in two days. So it just keeps getting crappier here!

On a positive note, everyday gets shorter and night longer. It almost dark and just 9 pm here. Longer nights means cooler nights and lower water temps and hopefully less fire.
Yeah, that's a drag man.
You had it really bad last year with those Idaho fires just over the pass. I drove to the Ronde over Lolo pass mid September last year and the smoke was terrible (so was the fishing).

My neighbor keeps having campfires in his yard. Usually after dark when it starts to cool off, you know, right when we want to have all our windows open to let in the cool night air. Instead we get camp fire smoke.
They just announced a fire ban in Bozeman including recreational fires and he's out there right now with yet another fire.

I don't want to cause any neighborly strife or take away his fun and relaxation but it is SO annoying.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbugger View Post
My neighbor keeps having campfires in his yard. Usually after dark when it starts to cool off, you know, right when we want to have all our windows open to let in the cool night air. Instead we get camp fire smoke.
They just announced a fire ban in Bozeman including recreational fires and he's out there right now with yet another fire.

I don't want to cause any neighborly strife or take away his fun and relaxation but it is SO annoying.
I feel your pain, we have a neighbor that does the same thing. Nothing like having smoke roll in the bedroom window while your trying to get some sleep. Luckily for us he doesn't do it very often.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, that's a drag man.
You had it really bad last year with those Idaho fires just over the pass. I drove to the Ronde over Lolo pass mid September last year and the smoke was terrible (so was the fishing).

That is BS, I'd call in a second. It's not just about your comfort anymore, the ban is in effect for a reason. Everyone thinks "o nothing will happen, I'm smart about it..." until an ember drifts up in the wind and then...

Look some of these images. This is on the edge of a 12,000 person community, right on the edge.
Red flag warning, fire weather watch issued for western Montana
Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 PM

Found this link from yours.

Youtube : Lolo Creek Complex

Sad.
We still have about a month of typically dry weather to go.
More relatively dry thunderstorms in the forecast. Looks like this is shaping up to be a particularly rough fire season in the Rockies.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:19 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Not the news I wanted to read guys. The fires are getting out of control in the entire region. I hope all of you stay safe and that the waters return to normal soon. Dean_Mt and I have a trip scheduled for the Big Hole in October and I owe all of you photos that I didnít deliver last year.

Take care,
Dan
Old 08-23-2013, 11:12 PM

Jefferson River now completely closed.

This from the Montana FWP site;

"24 Hour Fishing Closure starting 08/24/2013
Mandatory Drought Closure - [24 hour]
Entire Jefferson River (8/21/2013)"
Old 08-24-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Jefferson River now completely closed.

This from the Montana FWP site;

"24 Hour Fishing Closure starting 08/24/2013
Mandatory Drought Closure - [24 hour]
Entire Jefferson River (8/21/2013)"
The only surprise with this closure is that it took so long. Poor Jeff. The shocker to me was every major trib to the Blackfoot with hoot owl restrictions.. The NF Blackfoot closed, even partially is insane. It's good, I'm glad they did it, but wow.

Is there a major river in Montana that isn't a tailwater without some restricted fishing? Sad state of affairs.

The blame that I've heard in the shop is the secondary water rights folks. Not the ranchers and farmers that are literally making hay - the prices are high and they are all going for the second cutting. It is all the folk watering their lawns, some in the acres in size, so they can have their own little green pastures. I drove down the Bitterroot yesterday and was shocked at all the overhead sprinklers watering lawns and fields, without livestock, right along the river that is at a 30 year low. And the developments along the river keep springing up. And everyone has to have their green Kentucky grass in the yard. It's insane and maddening. We live in a semi arid climate, when you move here and leave behind the cities of the Midwest and South and coastal areas you have to leave your lawns behind too!

Arg. Off my soapbox, for now.