The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   How are the water levels? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/325270-how-water-levels.html)

dean_mt 07-16-2013 12:00 PM

How are the water levels?

I left Western Montana on July 1 for a two week family trip back to the Midwest. When I left the rivers were dropping like someone pulled the drain plug at the end of the world. I was wondering what it would look like when I returned on July 14 as the fishing season has seemed to be about a month advanced since spring and mid-July is usually the best summer fishing we get before the August shutdown.

The rivers are certainly down here but not dire. Rock Creek has dropped to late summer levels while the Bitterroot is about to hit 300 cfs today at the upper-middle river. Looking at the historic flow charts, the Bitterroot never gets down to 300 cfs - it's historic average low flow is around August 15 and that is 375 cfs. It could get scary with it getting hot and the irrigaters opening up the spigots.

I hope that all the waters in your areas are not suffering the same fate.

I plan on hitting some water tomorrow evening after dinner and fishing until I can't see! Get it while you can.

dhayden 07-16-2013 12:27 PM

Re: How are the water levels?

This past week, I took a week off, I fished:

Beaverhead, Big Hole, Jefferson, Upper Madison, Lower Madison, Gallatin, and in the park

All the levels were fine, but the water is getting too warm in a few.

The news said the Gallatin is starting to restrict water allotments to those with 1890 grants

mattneeds 07-16-2013 06:24 PM

Since I really only consistently fish the Missouri I'll comment on it. Water is low about 2900 cfs, luckily the water temps are staying strong in the low to mid 60's.

al_a 07-17-2013 12:20 AM

Yellowstone is lower than normal, dropping through 4000 cfs this past weekend at Livingston. Temps have been getting up into the lower 60s, but not too warm yet. Could definitely be "not good" by August.

yonder 07-17-2013 03:47 AM

I hope there will be some cool water around West Yellowstone in mid september..........:icon_eek:

al_a 07-17-2013 07:36 PM

Just heard there was a big storm today up by Corwin on the Yellowstone which flooded a couple creeks and caused a mudslide that blocked Hwy. 89. I suspect the Yellowstone will be muddy for a few days.

dean_mt 07-17-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yonder (Post 573230)
I hope there will be some cool water around West Yellowstone in mid september..........:icon_eek:

Mid September used to be reliable good conditions but last few years its been hot! But the weather is much different in W MT than in Yellowstone. You'll be fine.

Last night was only the third time in recorded wx history that the low temp in Missoula did not get under 70! Its still 92 at 6:45pm.

yonder 07-18-2013 09:54 AM

I hope so......Mid sept, was the only time my son could take vacation......I would have preferred late October on the Madison.......maybe I can do one of those "rain dances" and send some of our eastern monsoon moisture out west.......we have more rain here than we can handle this year........sometimes it either feast of famine.........

stenacron 07-18-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhayden (Post 573015)

This past week, I took a week off, I fished:

Beaverhead, Big Hole, Jefferson, Upper Madison, Lower Madison, Gallatin, and in the park

All the levels were fine, but the water is getting too warm in a few.

The news said the Gallatin is starting to restrict water allotments to those with 1890 grants

How was the Gallatin fishing? I'll be in Yellowstone with my family next week and already assumed that the Madison, Firehole (of course), and Gibbon will be shut down.

dhayden 07-18-2013 01:20 PM

Gallatin: Very nice... need to try the valley section - see if there's hopper action yet (which is a little early).. nice PMD, Caddis and Yellow Sallies action