The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 12:00 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default How are the water levels?

I left Western Montana on July 1 for a two week family trip back to the Midwest. When I left the rivers were dropping like someone pulled the drain plug at the end of the world. I was wondering what it would look like when I returned on July 14 as the fishing season has seemed to be about a month advanced since spring and mid-July is usually the best summer fishing we get before the August shutdown.

The rivers are certainly down here but not dire. Rock Creek has dropped to late summer levels while the Bitterroot is about to hit 300 cfs today at the upper-middle river. Looking at the historic flow charts, the Bitterroot never gets down to 300 cfs - it's historic average low flow is around August 15 and that is 375 cfs. It could get scary with it getting hot and the irrigaters opening up the spigots.

I hope that all the waters in your areas are not suffering the same fate.

I plan on hitting some water tomorrow evening after dinner and fishing until I can't see! Get it while you can.
long bow likes this.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How are the water levels?

This past week, I took a week off, I fished:

Beaverhead, Big Hole, Jefferson, Upper Madison, Lower Madison, Gallatin, and in the park

All the levels were fine, but the water is getting too warm in a few.

The news said the Gallatin is starting to restrict water allotments to those with 1890 grants
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:24 PM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

Since I really only consistently fish the Missouri I'll comment on it. Water is low about 2900 cfs, luckily the water temps are staying strong in the low to mid 60's.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:20 AM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Yellowstone is lower than normal, dropping through 4000 cfs this past weekend at Livingston. Temps have been getting up into the lower 60s, but not too warm yet. Could definitely be "not good" by August.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I hope there will be some cool water around West Yellowstone in mid september..........
Hardyreels likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 07-17-2013, 07:36 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Just heard there was a big storm today up by Corwin on the Yellowstone which flooded a couple creeks and caused a mudslide that blocked Hwy. 89. I suspect the Yellowstone will be muddy for a few days.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:43 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
I hope there will be some cool water around West Yellowstone in mid september..........
Mid September used to be reliable good conditions but last few years its been hot! But the weather is much different in W MT than in Yellowstone. You'll be fine.

Last night was only the third time in recorded wx history that the low temp in Missoula did not get under 70! Its still 92 at 6:45pm.
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by dean_mt; 07-20-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: typos!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:54 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I hope so......Mid sept, was the only time my son could take vacation......I would have preferred late October on the Madison.......maybe I can do one of those "rain dances" and send some of our eastern monsoon moisture out west.......we have more rain here than we can handle this year........sometimes it either feast of famine.........
dean_mt likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post

This past week, I took a week off, I fished:

Beaverhead, Big Hole, Jefferson, Upper Madison, Lower Madison, Gallatin, and in the park

All the levels were fine, but the water is getting too warm in a few.

The news said the Gallatin is starting to restrict water allotments to those with 1890 grants
How was the Gallatin fishing? I'll be in Yellowstone with my family next week and already assumed that the Madison, Firehole (of course), and Gibbon will be shut down.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 07-18-2013, 01:20 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Gallatin: Very nice... need to try the valley section - see if there's hopper action yet (which is a little early).. nice PMD, Caddis and Yellow Sallies action
Hardyreels likes this.