The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By dean_mt
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wyoming July Float Trip

Last fall we attended a local fund raiser for animals and the GF bid and won a float trip for two, the trip being donated by a long time fly fishing guide friend of hers. She didn't really want to go (she would rather go trail riding in the local mountains). We have a friend in town from Florida that wanted to go fishing so it was a great opportunity to get him out on the water. We have been getting some much needed moisture in the form of afternoon thunderstorms, the forecast was calling for 50% chance of rain so I figured we were going to get drenched but got lucky and instead just received a few drops which felt good in that it kept the afternoon heat at bay. We caught some nice fish, all on dries just missed getting a slam for this river had I landed a whitefish but that is difficult when fishing dries. Overall it was a great day on the water, the ones that get away always make you want to come back for more! Needless to say we lost some big fish, the big boys really like to put the bum rush on you as soon as you set the hook. They love racing toward the boat making it difficult to keep those barbless hooks planted, even stripping like crazy, but then that is part of the fun of fly fishing.
The river:
Click the image to open in full size.
A nice Brown:
A Snake River Cutthroat:
A nice Brown:
The only Rainbow of the day:
Another nice Brown:
I think this is a first for me getting a chance at a photo of a Coyote along the river bank. We also saw a small bull Moose, but he spotted us first and was moving fast so I didn't get a chance for a photo:
A baby Eagle, sorry for the poor photo, I had the zoom all the way out and trying to hold the camera still on a boat is pretty tough:
Our friend Dick from Florida, this was shot in the afternoon, it looks like he was getting pretty tired:
Another shot of the river:
bmfa, stenacron, shortyb and 1 others like this.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wyoming July Float Trip

Good report....the markings on the 2nd and 4th trout are unusualthought it was RAS and not a coyote at first glanceyour camoblue gloves are lovely LOL
Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I miss that feeling that your friend Dick's body language so clearly tells. I haven't had that "so exhausted I'll just sit and watch birds from the front of the boat" feeling in a while.
shortyb likes this.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I miss that feeling that your friend Dick's body language so clearly tells. I haven't had that "so exhausted I'll just sit and watch birds from the front of the boat" feeling in a while.
John: I didn't realize that Dick was such a newby, he was really having issues with his casting, even after Tim gave him some pointers at the start of the float. This afternoon, I stopped at the local fly shop and purchased a half day's casting lesson for him. I don't want him to get disgusted and give up fly fishing. After he has his casting lesson I will take him out wading, that should make it easier for him to catch a few Wyoming fish.
stimulator2 likes this.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:37 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Larry: Your report is great i love float fishing and that tired fell is good to if you are catching fish like that all day.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:25 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Awesome report and pic's Larry... love the fine spotting on that Cuttie!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring