The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 09:14 PM

danattherock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wind River Range...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Here is the trip I did last year on horses:
Wind River Mtns Fishing Trip

I need to take horseback riding lessons. Looks amazing!!

Dan
Old 07-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wind River Range...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
I need to take horseback riding lessons. Looks amazing!!

Dan
Dan
I'm a total beginner at riding horses. Last summer I started taking lessons from Dexter, then after haying was over he took his grandson and his grandson's best friend (both 16) and I up into the Winds, it was an incredible trip. I'm 66 so doing that trip by backpacking is really out of the question even though I work out 6 days a week (except when I'm doing fishing trips). I have worked up to where on a really good day I can do 5 miles in an hour on the ellipical machine at 7,000 ft, but what I found when we were at a little over 10,000 ft is that my legs were fine, but my breathing really suffered when we started hiking up hill, level ground I was fine.
You really don't need to know much to ride a horse in a pack string as the horses tend to follow the horse in front of them, but things can always go wrong. Today the GF and I went on a short ride (I'm riding the spooky project horse she picked up last winter) and of course we ran into a couple of cow elk and then the rodeo started. Luckily my horse didn't get too wild and I was able to get him under control, but there definitely was a few tense moments there.

Larry