The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bighorn River Float Trip

Mike (mridenour) and his good buddy Rick are currently doing a nine day fishing trip in the Cody, WY area, so it was a good opportunity to get together for a float on the Bighorn. We meet up yesterday at the boat ramp and had a great time (finally getting a chance to meet Mike in person) and an epic day of fishing even though the hoppers weren't out as we had hoped for, maybe we were a little early or they just aren't out in force this year. Here are a few photos from the trip.
Click the image to open in full size.
imxer, Hardyreels, jpbfly and 5 others like this.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bighorn River Float Trip

Larry: Once again that a nice post of some great fish.Looks like ya'll are having a great time with some other forum members.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Shannon: Thanks, yes it has been fun fishing with some of the members and getting to meet them face to face. Last week with Muzzy (muzz flaco) and this week with Mike (mridenour). Anyone else coming through this part of Wyoming, feel free to give me a shout and maybe we can get out on the water for some fishing.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You sure are having some fun this summer Larry. Those rivers there have to be loaded with trout because everyone always catches beauties. Meeting the members would be really cool too, makes me wish I was down there instead of so far off the beaten trail. If I were still in CO. I'd be up there every year to float with you.
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Ard: You will always be welcome to float with me anytime you are in the neighborhood! Yes, I agree, I have had a blast getting to meet face-to-face with some of the forum members and getting a chance to wet a line together.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That goes both way you know Leaving here during the summer is very hard for me to do. After waiting through the long cold dark winter dreaming only of a decent season, it's hard, even if I were coming to Wyoming.

If you come here I'll take you up that river I have been telling you about. That will supply enough excitement to last a while. The fishing on the destination is really good but it's the trip that seems to stick in my mind more. If you wait another year the cabin will be much more comfy too

There's always a chance that I could come down next fall, is October too late?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great you could fish with other forum members....looks like you're becoming a famous guide
Old 07-20-2013, 02:11 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Bighorn River Float Trip

My name is Rick Whisman. My user name is troutn. I just joined a few days ago after fishing with Mike and Larry. Lucky enough to get personalized truck plates in Missouri as "troutn"! I have been fly fishing for 8 years. I fish for all species of trout, steelhead, salmon and whatever else I can hook on my fly rod! My primary areas to fish are the areas around Missouri. Lucky enough to still have a few more days left on a 9 day trip to the Cody area.

Thanks again Larry for the trip! It was awesome
Old 07-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutn View Post
My name is Rick Whisman. My user name is troutn. I just joined a few days ago after fishing with Mike and Larry. Lucky enough to get personalized truck plates in Missouri as "troutn"! I have been fly fishing for 8 years. I fish for all species of trout, steelhead, salmon and whatever else I can hook on my fly rod! My primary areas to fish are the areas around Missouri. Lucky enough to still have a few more days left on a 9 day trip to the Cody area.

Thanks again Larry for the trip! It was awesome
Rick: Welcome to the forum! That float trip was awesome and meeting both you and Mike really made it special! Congrats on landing all those Wyoming trout. Have a great time fishing in the Cody area.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:34 PM

macklin is on a distinguished road

I'm a newbie to the forum, but have +50 years FF. If you would, did you use a Wyo based boat, or did you bring one in?

Some friends and I canoed the Hoback/Greys/Snake last month, and brought our boats in from Colo. We had all done the AIS registration beforehand, and I stopped once for the inspection and drove to Jackson. Another one of our group came in a different route, stopped at the first inspection station she saw, got checked and cleared and drove on. When she drove past another station later, a ranger chased her down and told her she was supposed to stop at ALL inspection stations.

I drift boat in a Vanguard raft and was thinking about heading up to the Snake, but I move it rolled in my truck and have no interest in unpacking and showing it every 100 miles or so.

What's the real rules?