The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By slicedog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 02:44 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Strange Results on the Upper Colorado River

Was up on the Colorado near Hot Sulphur, Parshall, and below the WF conf for a few hours Weds and Thurs, and the fishing was disappointing. Tried every underwater (BWO, PMD, Trico, Caddis, Stonefly, Worm) combination, and all sorts of dries, and hooked up to maybe 6 fish total. To add insult, most of the fish (all brown trout) were less than 6". Anyone else having trouble in this section? The flows are good, water clarity is moderate, temps right on the money. I'm curious if something happened at Windy Gap over the winter, or some other phenomenon, because normally the fishing is very good up there.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:29 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange Results on the Upper Colorado River

Sounds strange. I fished a bit lower (pump house) a few weeks ago and my brother hit Parshall the week before and both fished very well with fish hitting dries even with heavy wind. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has any info. I'd love to get up to the Colorado again soon.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 PM

Turns out I'm going to be there this weekend again, will go test it out and report back.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting situation, I haven't fished that section in 5-6 years so I can't provide much help, but would also be interested in what other members are finding in that stretch of water. Last time I fished up there it fished fairly well.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

Fished it on sat, Dries were not good till sunset, then a size 18 x-caddis was the ticket. Underwater, it was real hot on size 20 mercury pheasant tails and lighting bugs. Water was slightly off color. another pattern that was hot,( unfortunately only had 4 of them) was a yellow sally nymph. Didn't get the name of it. Now I wish i did so i can tie a few up. It worked great. Afternoon hours were really slow, then the caddis picked up later on using a graphic caddis. Overall had around 25 caught.
williamhj likes this.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 PM

Nice. Did better than I did. Sunday sucked again. Spent 3+ hours working the runs down from Hot Sulphur, only to come up with a handful of fingerlings. One decent sized brown came to the net. I packed it up and decided not to return for a month or so. They took only the baetis/trico patterns, but no caddis, stones, even hoppers. Who knows. Not all that bummed out about it! Just nice to be standing in a river!