The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 10:52 PM

jshipman is on a distinguished road
Default RMNP fishing

So I am staying at the YMCA right now in estes park. What part of the Rocky Mountain national park has amazing fishing? I heard spruce lake and peacock pool is where you can catch 40-50 on a trip so are there any other places that are under 7 miles round trip in the RMNP? I am looking for a small lake, nothing big really. Any ideas?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:34 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: RMNP fishing

Hi,

I can't help you with a location but............. check the phone book for fly shops in the town where you are. The folks at any shop in the area will be able to steer you to some fishing. I would advise to stop in the shop - ask about the current flies - buy half a dozen - then pop the 'where to go' question.

Good luck,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-21-2013, 07:43 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Call Kirk's in Estes , I would give info but I don't lake fish. I fish the streams of the park all the time, but no lakes.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:28 AM

torr8966 is on a distinguished road

I fish the park several times a year! Unfortunately the hotter spots right now are on the Thompson below lake Estes. Anything between Estes and Drake is fishing great right now!! I've had great luck at fern lake but it is a little bit of a hike. Lily lake had also treated me well! Like someone already mention Kirks Fly Shop in town is a great resource!! Good luck!!

http://www.kirksflyshop.com/fishing-report/#bmb=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Take some time and do a search for RMNP on this forum, you will be surprised at the amount of inoformation that will turn up.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

If you are serious about it, (I assume you are! Not trying to heckle), you should check out the book at this link-
the link itself has some useful but muted info, but the book is loaded and excellent. Author is a super cool guy, really good guy who knows his stuff:
Book on RMNP Fishing
You may be able to buy this book at Kirk's, shocked if they don't have it.

Also, here is a link to a couple posts I've made on another forum re: Big Thompson River and RMNP:

Big Thompson

RMNP

There are many hikes and lakes and streams/rivers to fish in RMNP, it's an amazingly beautiful spot. Good luck to you!

Tight lines
Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I think I'll join you on the river. I'm visiting from out of town and my usual accommodations are full up on the Eagle River. Deckers would be almost as close but it may be a tad too warm this time of year.
Happy Trails and Fishing...
Old 07-25-2013, 08:06 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Fern, Spruce, Odessa, Dream, Sandbeach, and Ypsilon Lakes all have fast action for small greenbacks. The drainage that holds the Loch (greenbacks), Lake of Glass (Colo cutts), and Sky Pond (brook trout) is especially scenic and the three lakes all have great action for trout to 12".
Old 07-29-2013, 04:28 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I just love this park and though it's got big fish it humbles one quite often. I got some nice browns on the Big Thompson and I would have wandered further in for some of those greenback cutts but was short on time. Please be aware of the weather as I had to stop and sit under a bridge for about 2 hours till the front passed. Later at the shop the sales lady informed me a 66 y/o tourist was struck and killed. That's another reason I chose to fish closer to the road in hard weather-I could easily run for the car. That's hard to do on the tundra or in the open. In as much as I'm in Colorado yearly, I'm realizing just how much fishing pressure is, 7 days a week, on the popular rivers here ( Cheeseman Canyon, Deckers, RMNP, the Eagle, the Blue, the Roaring Fork, etc...) compared to less trafficed rivers up north and perhaps I should adjust my expectations[ based on my real ability ; ^ ) ]. The bottom line is I had a blast just being out there even if if wasn't one of those 30-50 fish days.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:23 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
In as much as I'm in Colorado yearly, I'm realizing just how much fishing pressure is, 7 days a week, on the popular rivers here ( Cheeseman Canyon, Deckers, RMNP, the Eagle, the Blue, the Roaring Fork, etc...) compared to less trafficed rivers up north and perhaps I should adjust my expectations[ based on my real ability ; ^ ) ]
I'm surprised - well maybe I'm not - at how crowded I read Colorado fishing is as I research. I've fished the Eagle but not many others. I'm moving to Colorado within the next few years and I fear I'll long for the solitude I find in the Midwest. Makes no sense, I would think with all the water in Colorado, I should be able to find more solitude than anywhere.