The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 07:23 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default North Plate worth fishing later in summer?

I have been hitting the North Platte water just north of the Colorado border, but with low water, and very high water temperatures, fishing just has not been very good. Instead of driving the 115 miles to fish those waters, I am thinking about saving up a little bit of money and heading up to the mile or the reef later this summer. I have heard that both of them get very weedy and hard to fish at this time. I plan on heading up to either the mile or the reef in october/november, so is it even worth my time heading there in August or September or will it be too weedy to fish effectively? I am just a wade fisherman if that makes a difference.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 AM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: North Plate worth fishing later in summer?

I can attest that the NPR has had it's share of ups and downs in terms of water and temps in the past, but we had a decent snowpack here in Colorado this winter, especially in the northern half of the state. The NPR drainage begins here so I can assume the flows are good all the way thru the Mile and Grey Reef.

Only a gage check will confirm this, in addition to contacting a good shop - Stoney Creek Outfitters in Saratoga will have honest info.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Best of luck.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:21 PM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

I concur with the previous poster, and I think your expectations are way off.

When the NP gets to the CO-WY border its still being fed by a good amount of snowmelt, and because that water immediately hits the canyon (once its out of North Park), it stays pretty cool throughout the day. Levels were still above 200 cfs last time I checked, and in my opinion that rive is healthy at 150 and above. Last year levels got as low as ever, but from what I've heard the fishing didn't take much of a hit. I should add that I haven't fished that region yet this year.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:19 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

I was at Northgate two weeks ago and flows were around 450, I checked flows last week and they were around 220. I fished the bennett peak / corral creek area and you could feel the water get warmer as the day went on. A lot of very flat, trash water, with only a couple good holes to be found. Both the reef and mile get fed by the lakes above them, so I am pretty sure it is always pretty cold, and flows are good until fall when they start slowing them down. Not worried about flows and water temps down there as much as I am about the moss that I hear fills the river late summer/early fall. Also, both northgate and bennett peak were loaded with moss. Northgate cleared up a little bit the second day I was up there, but bennett was horrible. You had to clean your line after every drift there was so moss. Very frustrating
Old 07-24-2013, 10:53 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

where do you guys fish that is south of casper? Glendo state park?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:40 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

Interesting about Bennett Peak. The guys at Brush Creek must not be enjoying that either just down around the bend.

Another thing to consider is the Encampment adds some volume down from the Baggot Rocks area and Treasure.

Noteworthy stuff.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:33 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
where do you guys fish that is south of casper? Glendo state park?
Grey Reef is about 30 miles south of Casper in Alcova. It does get mossy, but the fishing usually makes up for the frustration.

Chase
Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
Grey Reef is about 30 miles south of Casper in Alcova. It does get mossy, but the fishing usually makes up for the frustration.

Chase
I fished the Grey Reef section in August a few years back and it was so weedy you couldn't nymph fish at all. My friend Pete, quit fishing after 5 minutes and wanted to row the boat, which he never does. When we stopped at the Reef Fly Shop to get a shuttle the guy in the store said they weren't doing shuttles that day, but then called his wife who was willing to shuttle us, so we paid the shuttle fee and drove down to the boat ramp, to our surprise there wasn't a single vehicle in the parking lot. We launched and immediately found out why. I won't fish there in August again. Maybe the lower sections are fishable, I have no experience with those areas. Last June when I took my grandson out on a guided float with the North Platte Lodge, I asked the guide about August, he only said that they look for seams between the weeds (that would be difficult for a wade fisherman). Last year in Sept, ScobbySteve and I floated the Grey Reef section, we threw streamers all day, but the guide boats were all nymphing and it didn't look like the weeds were too bad. There were a number of folks out wade fishing, so I'd say Sept and later will provide some great fishing. We have a couple members who live in Casper, hopefully they will see this thread and chime in with their experience in August. I've only been there that one time in August and it wasn't fun, but I don't know if that is the norm or not.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:22 PM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

I am possibly thinking of hitting northgate on the CO side of the river in two weeks, does anyone know of some good camping in that area? Looking at the maps it looks like there is some access off of 125 near ginger quill reservoir (not on the ranch property).