The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cletus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 06:36 AM

ontheflymn has a spectacular aura aboutontheflymn has a spectacular aura aboutontheflymn has a spectacular aura about
Default Red Lodge Area Labor Day Weekend

A fishing buddy and I will be in the Red Lodge area for three days in late August. He has been there before and fished several times. This is my first trip. Sounds like we are going to be doing some hiking, which I am partial to anyway.

Any thoughts on patterns, tips, etc. would be much appreciated. Feel free to PM as well.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red Lodge Area Labor Day Weekend

If shortyb doesn't see your request for help, send him a PM, I think he lives in the area and can certainly give some guidance.

Larry

Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

This will give an overview of moving water that is in the immediate Red Lodge vicinity:

Rock Creek in Southern Montana : Fly Fishing Information, Photos, & Detailed Guide

Freestone waters in that area are fairly low in late August and early September. I have done well with attractor patterns that time of year and particularly Yellow Humpys #16 - #20, H&L Variants, #18 - #20, X Caddis (Tan and Olive) #16 - #18 and Iris Caddis (Amber) #15 - #17. Hopper patterns in the correct color to match the bugs in the grass, at the water's edge, ant patterns, beetles.There is generally a lot of moss and nymphing can be tedious in the late Summer...

Personally, I prefer this place which is about an hours drive, West from Red Lodge:

Click the image to open in full size.

There are no big fly shops in Red Lodge and because it is a tourist town, it will be crowded over Labor day. There are general store type businesses that do carry fly patterns...

Have a great time...I love that location !

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 07-30-2013, 03:01 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold

Just referenced a great book entitled, Fishing the Beartooths by Pat Marcuson. Sounds like you have a ton of fishable lakes that are a very short hike off the Beartooth Highway. A short walk would take you into a dozen lakes on the Hellroaring Plateau.

I would love to see some pictures of this area, as it is a place that interests me.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:11 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

When I lived in Billings, Rock Creek was probably my favorite local stream, perfect 3-4 weight water. A standard parachute Adams in size 12-14 always worked like a charm for me. Have fun!
shortyb likes this.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:57 PM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
When I lived in Billings, Rock Creek was probably my favorite local stream, perfect 3-4 weight water. A standard parachute Adams in size 12-14 always worked like a charm for me. Have fun!
I'm confused, is there more than one "Rock Creek" in Montana ? The one I'm familiar with can be accessed below Missoula @ the Clinton exit on I-90.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Yes, there are 2 Rock Creeks in Montana. The more famous is the one outside of Missoula. The other one is near Red Lodge
Old 08-03-2013, 12:57 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

I was out of town fishing the Green river in UT. Back now!

Glad your coming to fish my local waters, there is plenty of good water this time of year. The other posts are good information, we do have tons of lakes that hold brookies, Yellowstone cuts, and even goldens. While they all require a day hike or pack trip, the fishing can be great. Pat Marcuson's book is really the only good source of info for our lakes.

The lesser known "Rock Creek" just dropped flows and will be great fishing from here on out. It's gin clear water lots of downed trees, and can humble you. Simulators, to small hoppers, and stones for your main attractor will produce fish. I would really just count on dries, while you will find some deep holes nymphing will be tricky. Streamers can produce, but not like dries.

Waters 30-40 mins away include east and west rosebuds which meet up with the Stillwater river. I have a love hate for all these as I have been skunked at them before. Stillwater is best floated but has great access to wade all over and have had some luck that time of year on it. Rosebuds are small much like the upper sections of Rock Creek can be killer on smaller dies, very wadeable, and you will be alone but limited access. Stillwater is a good sized river and you will see anglers float and wade, I have seen some nice fish pulled out of it.

It's smaller fish for the most part, a 3-4w rod would be perfect for the smaller creeks. I use a 5w on the main sections of Rock C and Stillwater because it's nice to muscle the bigger guys fast before they make you regret playing them. Bring stud or felt wading boots, it's all rock big small and every where.

I'll check my pm's and toss you some more info.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
Just referenced a great book entitled, Fishing the Beartooths by Pat Marcuson. Sounds like you have a ton of fishable lakes that are a very short hike off the Beartooth Highway. A short walk would take you into a dozen lakes on the Hellroaring Plateau.

I would love to see some pictures of this area, as it is a place that interests me.
Only problem with fishing right off the highway is we have some Lakers now in twin lakes and most the lakes are in WY so do have both licenses. Hellroaring is now a jeep and 4 wheeler only tall. I tried to go up it my crv and gave up, it's just too rough a road. If I had a truck I didn't care about with good clearance, I'd do it. I might hike up later this year, it's 7 miles with no tree cover though.

Countr I'm surprised you haven't been out here before, you would love it.