The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 03:32 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Solo Road Trip Montana/Wyoming - September

My son and I will be in the West Yellowstone area from Sept. 7 to the 13th.......I highly recommend the northeast corner of yellowstone for cutthroats.......especially the soda butte!!! See you there!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 PM

heronwheels is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
There's so much great water to fish.. hard to narrow down isn't it?
You aren't kidding, it's completely overwhelming! But it's fishing, so even the worst spot is better than sitting in the windowless lab where I work!

You guys are great, you've given me a ton of info to think about. I just received my Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlas (similar to Gazetteer) and the Western Montana and Wyoming GTR Recreation Maps. I also downloaded the Flyfisher's Guide to Montana which seems to have some decent info (the Michigan version has helped me a lot here as a newb).

dean_mt - thanks a bunch for the Rock Creek tip, that looks pretty perfect and is now a definite on my list. As you said, it looks like camping opportunities are plentiful along Rock Creek Rd. Is it worth spending a day in Missoula? I plan on stopping in to check out Big Sky Brewing before heading out to explore fishing spots.

smarty140, Wall Drug is definitely a must...the Burma Shave style signs cracked me up! In 2011, I headed out to Yellowstone on my motorcycle taking backroads across South Dakota. I met some really fantastic and interesting people and had a pretty phenomenal time. I'll never forget riding across the Bighorns from Sheridan to Greybull on those beautiful winding roads with the unreal scenery and the same day riding Beartooth Pass down to Chief Joseph Highway into Cody at sunset. I'm with you on traveling across Nebraska and Iowa, BORING! I took my dogs out to Utah/Colorado this spring hiking, I'm not looking forward to that stretch again but at least I can get a Capriotti's sub in Davenport, IA. Hope to see you guys out there, always fun to put faces with screen names!

Wall Drug 2011
Click the image to open in full size.

yonder, I hope to fish Soda Butte Creek so maybe we'll cross paths (I'll likely be there the same time), it'd be great to meet you!

One more question, I use lugged wading boots here in Michigan...will I have issues with the rocks out there? If so, is there anything I can do to make wading a little safer. I sure do wish Korkers made their convertible boots in a miniature sizes!

On another note, I stopped at the shop yesterday to pick up some materials to tie the North Fork Special. One of the guys asked me if I had met an older gentleman on the Rogue River here where I normally fish. I said, "Yeah, real nice guy - said he used to guide in Montana! He said he isn't able to fish much anymore but likes to come to the river and watch the hatches and see what's going on". To my surprise, I was told he tied 4-dozen flies for my trip out west! The kindness of others never ceases to amaze me, I was pretty floored by that.

Thanks again everybody!
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

My suggestion is to settle on one area that has lots of fishing possibilities, rather than skipping all over two states. I've done a lot of road trips, and if fishing is the goal and not driving and seeing the sights, that's the way to go. If you try to cover too much territory you'll be spending a lot more time driving and finding a spot to stay at night and finding a place to eat and buying groceries than you will fishing. I like to drive to a "base", stay there the whole trip, and each day pick a different fishing spot that's within an hour or less drive from the base. There are lots of areas of Wyoming and Montana where you can do that and get in a diversity of different fishing experiences.
fredaevans and dean_mt like this.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heronwheels View Post
To my surprise, I was told he tied 4-dozen flies for my trip out west! The kindness of others never ceases to amaze me, I was pretty floored by that.
I agree, that was pretty special for him to do that! Sounds like your getting some really good advice to make this fly fishing trip really great, best of luck and be sure to post a trip report when you get back.

Larry

Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Solo Road Trip Montana/Wyoming - September

"One more question, I use lugged wading boots here in Michigan...will I have issues with the rocks out there? If so, is there anything I can do to make wading a little safer. I sure do wish Korkers made their convertible boots in a miniature sizes!"

Yes you will! But an easy/cheap fix. Hit a hardware store and get a box of 1/4" x 1/2" hex-head screws. If the lugs have a lot of ware drop down to 1/4x 1.375's. You 'pre-drill' a small hole in the lugs, screw in the screw THEN back it out and put a drop of Gorilla Glue on the threads and re-thread into the rubber.

Reason for the Gorilla Glue is it actually expands as it drys. For installing the studs use a 1/4 in ratchet. Trying to put them in with a screwdriver is a ROYAL PAIN!

I also strongly recommend the use of a wading staff.

Fred
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:24 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by heronwheels View Post
One more question, I use lugged wading boots here in Michigan...will I have issues with the rocks out there? If so, is there anything I can do to make wading a little safer. I sure do wish Korkers made their convertible boots in a miniature sizes!
What is your question; are you worrying about walking with the lugs (are they just standard studs?) on rocks, or are you worried that they will not hold and help from slipping?

What is the sole material? Studded felt is great. Studded rubber should be fine as well if the lugs are in decent shape.

Don't know who it was above that stressed focus, but I agree. Chose a couple rivers and fish them. And personally, I would stay as far away from Wall Drug as possible. I got so sick of the billboards and signage for 1000 miles that I refused to stop, but that's just me!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:59 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
"One more question, I use lugged wading boots here in Michigan...will I have issues with the rocks out there? If so, is there anything I can do to make wading a little safer. I sure do wish Korkers made their convertible boots in a miniature sizes!"

Yes you will! But an easy/cheap fix. Hit a hardware store and get a box of 1/4" x 1/2" hex-head screws. If the lugs have a lot of ware drop down to 1/4x 1.375's. You 'pre-drill' a small hole in the lugs, screw in the screw THEN back it out and put a drop of Gorilla Glue on the threads and re-thread into the rubber.

Reason for the Gorilla Glue is it actually expands as it drys. For installing the studs use a 1/4 in ratchet. Trying to put them in with a screwdriver is a ROYAL PAIN!

I also strongly recommend the use of a wading staff.

Fred
This is spot on.........I use the 3/8th's by #8 sheet metal screws from the big box hardware stores........with a touch of gorilla glue.......on my simms rubber boots......great for hiking also.......if I see a silver ninja around the soda butte, I will try to find you.......back in my "long haired days", I rode harleys and BMW's.........made it to daytona in 1989!!! See you in yellowstone!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-02-2013, 03:18 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Solo Road Trip Montana/Wyoming - September

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
This is spot on.........I use the 3/8th's by #8 sheet metal screws from the big box hardware stores........with a touch of gorilla glue.......on my simms rubber boots......great for hiking also.......if I see a silver ninja around the soda butte, I will try to find you.......back in my "long haired days", I rode harleys and BMW's.........made it to daytona in 1989!!! See you in yellowstone!!
Thank you for the very nice compliment; and you're right they (1/4") are #8's. Flat forgot to add that to my original post. Would have made life a bit easier ......

Fred
yonder likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:46 AM

heronwheels is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=dean_mt;578473]What is your question; are you worrying about walking with the lugs (are they just standard studs?) on rocks, or are you worried that they will not hold and help from slipping?

What is the sole material? Studded felt is great. Studded rubber should be fine as well if the lugs are in decent shape.
QUOTE]

I have rubber soled boots, I just started in April so the lugs are in pretty good shape. They came with a packet of screw in studs so I'll put those in before the trip. I was mainly worried about slipping on rocks, I'll have a wading staff too.

Yonder, I won't be on the Ninja this trip (I actually kind of killed the Ninja - sport bikes were not meant for dual sport riding) but if you see a gray Jeep Grand Cherokee with Michigan plates, that's me!

Thanks again to everybody for the help! I'm really looking forward to getting out there
Old 08-09-2013, 12:48 PM

Thumbs up Re: Solo Road Trip Montana/Wyoming - September

The "Pro series of ice racing tyre "Kold Kutter's" are the 'Cat's Meow' if you can't track down Alumie Studs. Which are damned hard to find. Just looked at my package and have 5 left. Time to go on line and get more.