The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 01:24 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Solo Road Trip Montana/Wyoming - September

Fred, where did you get them?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:27 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Yep, I would definitely go with some kind of studs. I spent two weeks out there slipping and stumbling on super slick, smooth rocks lubricated with a special slime designed to bring grown men to their knees. I still have a big lump on my shin as a souvenir of the trip...get it? I tripped? LOL!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:29 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by heronwheels View Post
I have rubber soled boots, I just started in April so the lugs are in pretty good shape. They came with a packet of screw in studs so I'll put those in before the trip. I was mainly worried about slipping on rocks, I'll have a wading staff too.
OK I totally misunderstood your post. When you said "lugged" I thought you meant some sort of metal stud. You definitely want to put the studs in.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:37 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Fred, where did you get them?
At a motor cycle shop in Talent, Oregon. Think that's right. There's like 100 in a bag so you have close to a life-time supply. Well, almost.

Fred
Old 10-02-2013, 04:39 PM

heronwheels is on a distinguished road

Well, it's been a while since I responded to this thread but I thought I'd post a thank you and a few photos from the trip. It was all I expected and hoped for with a bit of frustration and freezing thrown in. As a newb I learned a lot and can't stop thinking about a return trip! After 2 days of driving, I stopped at Rock Creek Fisherman's Mercantile (thanks mcnerny) picked up some flies and tying materials and headed to the Dalles to find a campsite where I stayed for a few days. I didn't catch anything huge but had a blast catching 8-13" browns and rainbows.

After saying goodbye to Rock Creek, I headed down to Baker's Hole on the Madison where I stayed for 2 days - fished the Madison and the Gallatin and found myself very humbled. I'm a terrible nymph fisher - something to work on for next year! I got great treatment at a couple of the West Yellowstone fly shop and really liked Blue Ribbon - nice chatting with former Michigander Craig Matthews and checking out all of the fly tying stuff!

After striking out in West Yellowstone, I headed into the park - saw my first wolf the first day and caught my first cutthroat! I spent a few days at Pebble Creek Campground fishing Soda Butte Creek, Firehole, Rock Creek by Red Lodge, MT and generally sightseeing. I'll be doing the same trip next year but with company and a little later - how is October in the park and SW MT? My boyfriend will be joining but he manages a fly shop here and September is salmon season.

A quick stop for brookies - Western UP

Click the image to open in full size.

My first Montana trout!

Rock Creek

Yellowstone

Woohoo - Cutthroats!

Thank you all again for the help - all of the suggestions here definitely made this an awesome trip!

Stacey
Old 10-02-2013, 04:52 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Nice photos Stacey, thanks for the update. Funny, the first place I stayed in Montana - after driving here from West Michigan no less - was The Dalles campground! It was late September and desolate. I got skunked but feel in love with the place. While that is an absolutely gorgeous, scenic stretch of river it is probably one of the toughest spots to actually catch big fish. But they are there ... I know you looked into the dark bottomless holes in that boulder strewn stretch. I love it in there even if it is hard to catch fish.
mcnerney and heronwheels like this.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Solo Road Trip Montana/Wyoming - September

"Lookin Good Girl!"

mcnerney and heronwheels like this.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:39 AM

heronwheels is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Nice photos Stacey, thanks for the update. Funny, the first place I stayed in Montana - after driving here from West Michigan no less - was The Dalles campground! It was late September and desolate. I got skunked but feel in love with the place. While that is an absolutely gorgeous, scenic stretch of river it is probably one of the toughest spots to actually catch big fish. But they are there ... I know you looked into the dark bottomless holes in that boulder strewn stretch. I love it in there even if it is hard to catch fish.
dean_mt - you are right Rock Creek felt pretty special, I had a hard time leaving despite the fact that I didn't really catch a ton of fish there. It looks so fishy in through those boulder pools by the Dalles but I didn't get anything out of there (caught most of my fish in the shallow water/riffles across from my campsite #8 on dries/hoppers). There was a fire down at Harry's Flat which filled the campground with smoke in the morning and the road was filled with Fire vehicles so that was pretty interesting. I liked the Mercantile and met some nice people at the campground and the fly shop. I'll go back, though I have a feeling when we go in October everything out there will be a bit chilly!

Come to find out, I met forum member yonder and didn't even know it! First in Arrick's in West Yellowstone, then in Blue Ribbon where he recommended beetles for Soda Butte Creek cutthroat. Great to put a face with a screen name!!
yonder likes this.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Stacey: Thanks for posting a trip report with the beautiful photos, sounds like you had an awesome time. It isn't about catching monster trout, you can have just as good a time with the smaller fish and as you can see they are just gorgeous in the fall.

Larry
yonder likes this.