The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 02:27 PM

pjosh6 is on a distinguished road
Default 11 mile canyon success

This past Sunday I was forced by the wifey to take a day and go fishing since we have been moving to our new house and painting, doing tile work, and other home personalization chores.. So I decided to head up to 11 Mile for the first time and I was very well pleased.. I am still a newbie and learning lots but I had decent afternoon an caught 7-8 nice rainbows out of there.. All but one were caught with a nymph set up with a zebra nymph trailing a copper John.. When the evening rolled around I started seeing the fish starting to rise so I switched tactics and set up some dries.. First I set up a elk hair caddis and could see the fish charging my fly but then would stop and turn around when less than a foot from it.. So that was a little frustrating.. Eventually I fooled one nice rainbow to take a taste of the caddis fly and landed him.. Just like anything I learned alot in the trip and continue to have fun and want to go back ASAP..
Old 08-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 11 mile canyon success

Congrats on a great trip! 11 mile is so pretty there that you don't really even have to land a fish and can still call it a great afternoon. I love that area of Colorado.

Larry

Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

NICE! 11 Mile Canyon is so beautiful and the fish are so pretty. Good fishing all year long. Probably my favorite place to fish and I consider it my home waters.

Hope to see you out there!
Randy
Old 08-01-2013, 07:01 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjosh6 View Post
First I set up a elk hair caddis and could see the fish charging my fly but then would stop and turn around when less than a foot from it.. So that was a little frustrating.. Eventually I fooled one nice rainbow to take a taste of the caddis fly and landed him.. Just like anything I learned alot in the trip and continue to have fun and want to go back ASAP..
Sounds like a great day! When I have that happen and I'm sure I'm not dragging I drop a size. Feels good when they are picky and you finally get one. Personally one picky trout that makes me work is worth a number of easy ones. Pictures?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:04 PM

streamborn_jr77 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a lot of fun!!! Next time throw a sparkle pupa out when u see them rising i bet you have more success. let me know how that goes sir!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:12 PM

I'll post some pics tonight.. Think I only have one on my phone.. I think my problem was my leader and tippet were prolly too short.. Coulda been too big of a fly too. I think it was a 16? Maybe wrong..
williamhj likes this.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:49 AM

Hopefully this works.. Here is the only pic I took..

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.
williamhj likes this.

Last edited by pjosh6; 08-02-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:58 PM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

Last time I had refusals on elk hair caddis I just switched to a x-caddis and then game on. Sometimes it is just about the presentation of the fly on the water.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicedog View Post
Last time I had refusals on elk hair caddis I just switched to a x-caddis and then game on. Sometimes it is just about the presentation of the fly on the water.
Thanks... I'll keep that in mind. I'm still trying to learn how to present dries better and read the water
Old 08-10-2013, 03:39 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

If you want to have your mind blown, pick up some 18/20 tricos. head back up there around 730 or 8 and just wait till about 930 or 10 and watch the clouds of tricos come off the water. tie on a 18 parachute adams and 16 inches behind it tie on the trico. the sculpzilla streamer is also super deadly in the canyon runs. Where are you driving from to the canyon?