The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By triocd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 09:29 AM

triocd has a spectacular aura abouttriocd has a spectacular aura abouttriocd has a spectacular aura about
Default 7/21-29 Montana trip report (long)

I made my annual summer trip west to Montana recently, a trip Iíve been fortunate to be able to go on the past 12 years or so. Being able to go out and live in a tent or car for a week or two and play outdoors allows me to recharge my mental batteries for the rest of the year. Some years I do a lot of hiking and fishing, some years I just do a lot of wandering, this year fishing was the only order of business since each trip might be my last for a long time.

I flew in to Bozeman and rented a small SUV (Nissan Rogue) and immediately met up with Swimmy (aka Rob). Rob was kind enough to take me on a float with his friend Graham and his long-haired hot dog Sammy down the Yellowstone River. We floated right below Livingston in the afternoon targeting big browns with oversized streamers. I had a blast with these two friendly laid back guys who showed me the ropes of fishing from a boat. I did ok but kept tangling my line around the seat. Fishing was on the slow side, we boated a handful of fish but none of the 20+ inchers we were after. My one attempt at a glory pic with a 14-15 inch brown resulted in me letting the fish slip out of my hands and into the water. No big deal. Each of us had some big fish follow our flies but it wasnít meant to be on this day. I wrapped up the day by wading during the evening caddis hatch and landed several rainbows and whitefish and slept in the back of the car riverside.
Click the image to open in full size.
Graham, Rob, and Sammy

The next day I woke up early and drove 2.5 hours north to the Missouri River near Craig, MT. It had been 12 years since I last visited the Missouri and I had fond memories of difficult big, challenging rainbows. I spent the next 2 nights on the Missouri trying to figure it out. I had a couple short bursts of great action (hooking 7-8 fish in an hour), but most of the time was real slow with a hookup every few hours mixed with a lot of slinging weeds off my flies. The temps were scorching as well, reaching 100F 2 days in a row. The Missouri is filled with fish that thoroughly worked me over. I probably landed only 1 out of 8 fish hooked either to breaking off (the weeds were a killer) or the fish spitting the hook. When you set the hook on these big rainbows, they just go berserk and they really got the best of me. Most of my fish came in a big eddy filled with 10-15 cruising fish. My final day there I found a big pod of rainbows in the afternoon feeding on trico spinners, again in a massive eddy. There mustíve been 30 fish gulping without a care in the world and they didnít spook when I made my casts. I hooked at least 8 fish in a couple hours but I only landed 2 or 3. The 22 hook, weeds, and strong fish combined to make it hard to land these guys. I was also kicking myself for not bringing my net, the one item I left out when I packed because I couldnít zip up my luggage bag with it in.

Healthy Missouri rainbows

Trico mania

The heat eventually drove me away from the Missouri so I headed southwest stopping in Dillon, MT to fish Poindexter Slough for a few hours. Poindexter is a public spring creek, a place I love to visit for a few hours as often as possible. Itís a great mid-day spot since fish tend to be rising in the heat of the afternoon. I fished from around noon-4 and there was a nice pmd hatch popping the whole time. I used a pmd sparkle emerger with a splitback pmd nymph a foot below it and both took fish, and these spring creek browns are just gorgeous little guys. I saw only one other angler out there.

Poindexter brown

Continuing on past Poindexter I made my way to the upper Madison where I would spend the next few days. The Madison was ďoffĒ for me the past couple years, but it has been my favorite river for a long time and I knew it was a matter of time before I realized why I love it so much again. It took me a little while to figure out the fish, but I soon discovered that fish were hanging out right on the bank and I did well most of the time nymphing or running a stimulator with a midge trailing off the back. A brown zebra midge was killer, the fish chewed through my only one. Madison fish are also really strong and combined with the current the average fish makes you do some work to haul it in. The mornings and evenings I threw big streamers and I had some explosive strikes. I had 2 real solid fish on at various times but I lost one in a tangle in some structure and the other spit the hook after taking a bunch of line out for a minute or so. They felt like they may have been in the 20 inch ballpark. Each day the flows got higher and the last day wading was pretty limited. I used my 12í 5wt spey rod for nymphing in the high water which is actually a great nymphing rod. With the length you can high stick a lot of water and itís really easy to control your line. It also has the backbone to overpower fish in fast current.

One day I made the short drive to the Henryís Fork planning to stay a couple days, but the local old timers informed me that there were no bugs the past couple days. I fished from 8am-1pm and I only found a couple fish rising inconsistently. It was frustrating knowing that an hour away the Madison was hot, so I decided to ditch my plan of staying on the HF and headed back to the Madison. I love fishing the selective fish on the HF, but for some reason this year I didnít have the focus to work so hard for a fish or two.

Streamer eater

The last night I hit the Gallatin, another one of my favorites. It seems the Gallatin in the canyon is just always on fire in July and August, and this night was no exception. I landed a bunch of smallish rainbows during the evening mayfly and caddis action.

It was a great trip but itís nice to be in my bed at home again. I also donít think my body could take much more of the diet I was on which consisted of ramen and beer for dinner, peanut butter sandwiches for breakfast lunch and snacks, and dried apricots to keep things moving. This is the first time I didnít set up my tent once, but the back of the car had plenty of room and it saved me time setting up/breaking down. I met some great people and had a lot of time to do some thinking and reflecting by myself. Hopefully Iíll be back next year.

My setup
Old 08-03-2013, 09:42 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7/21-29 Montana trip report (long)

Geat trip report...

Dave
Old 08-03-2013, 09:52 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Great report, loved the pics, Was just reading about Craig and the amazing hatches up there.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:05 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Nice report.

The Madison flows were see-sawing when I was there as well. I don't know what's going on with the water releases from Hebgen & Quake Lakes.

The fish were generally father out when I fished earlier in July. They raised flows from about 500 cfs to over 1500 cfs when I was there.

Here's the flows when you were there,

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 06038500 Madison River bl Hebgen Lake nr Grayling MT

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-03-2013, 11:08 AM

triocd has a spectacular aura abouttriocd has a spectacular aura abouttriocd has a spectacular aura about

Yea, I got home and immediately checked out the flow data for the Madison. It seemed like each day was harder wading or else my legs were getting tired. Looks like I was there the days they stepped the flows up, up, then up. I found the wading to be challenging on the last 2 days. I took a few dunks which got water in my waist-high waders. I don't think the flow changes hurt the fishing though, the fishing seemed consistent each day.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:29 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

When I was there (July 8-17) they were taking the water up and the fish were confused and most of the fish were closer to the middle, where they were before the water went up.

From the photos, it looks like you were below the Raynold's Pass bridge and near the $3 Bridge area. That's beautiful water. You captured the upper Madison nicely.

Here's a photo of my buddy fishing that area in 2008.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-03-2013, 03:10 PM

wjl is on a distinguished road

Great report!
Love that area also, have been up there 4 times this summer.
The water levels I have been told are dependent on the farmers and the need for water. Don't really know.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:55 PM

swimmy will become famous soon enough

Great report. Looks like you stayed busy during your visit.

It was a pleasure meeting you and having you along. Look me up again next year and we'll go chase down that big'n.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great trip report and photos! I know what you mean about the big bruisers on the Missouri, they are definitely hard to land but it is definitely exciting to hook into one.

Larry

Old 08-03-2013, 10:14 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Nice report, great pics.

The Madison has been hot and cold all year. There is major work in progress on the dam at Hebgen Lake. Flows have been all over the map. This year most of the water has been coming of the top of the dam resulting in really warm water and slow fishing.

On my trip up there last two weeks I only fished a couple hours at three dollar bridge. Landed one ten inch brown and had on an honest 26 inch rainbow for three jumps. Unfortunately he took #20 RS-2 on 5X tippet, so you knew it would be sayonara MF in those riffles.

The Henry's Fork and Gallatin fished much better for me this year.

Chris