The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 02:51 PM

drakewoodie will become famous soon enough
Default Camping near Estes park, Colorado

I'm in need of a place to camp near Estes Park in Colorado Saturday August 10. Going on a family camping trip gonna stay down on the south platte, Sunday though Wednesday and then stay at grand lake Thursday and Friday night. The Saturday were gonna head towards Estes park my wife and couple others are gonna do a couple of tours at the Stanley so we need a place to camp for the night preferably close to some fishing wo I can do some fishing in the evening and a little in the morning before heading back out. Any suggestions
Old 08-04-2013, 06:03 PM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Camping near Estes park, Colorado

If you are planning to camp within Rocky Mountain National Park you'll want to check their site because a couple of their larger campgrounds are closed this season.

I have no specific recommendations for camps but I don't think you can go wrong with any choice fishing-wise. Just about any sites I've seen around Estes are all less than 15 minutes away from great fishing. The problem is not finding the fishing but deciding among all the choices.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Estes Park KOA, Colorado RV Park Campground. Estes Park Colorado camping

Larry
Old 08-05-2013, 01:04 PM

drakewoodie will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the help guys
Old 08-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. If you camp in Estes Park, you will be near the Big Thompson River that flows along hwy 34, plenty off places to fish.

Larry
Old 08-06-2013, 01:46 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold

Olive Ridge campground right outside of the Wild Basin entrance. It's about 15 miles south of Estes Park, but there are no crowds, especially during the weekdays. There is good fishing for little brookies right inside of the park (St Vrain Creek) from the entrance ranger station all the way up the Wild Basin trail.

My friend & I fishing the St Vrain during runoff July 2nd right inside of the Wild Basin entrance:

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 08-08-2013, 09:16 AM

illinibone is on a distinguished road

This might be a little late, but the East Portal campground is a nice, fairly private campground just a few miles outside of Estes Park. Just minutes from the Big T and RMNP entrance. You could try a few campgrounds in RMNP but this time of year you usually need reservations weeks (if not months) in advance.

For fishing, try the Big T below the dam. Anywhere from the dam down to Loveland provides great fishing and multiple public entrance spots. Talk to the guys at Kirk's for fly reccomendations. If IIRC, the blue poison tung (sz. 16-20) was one of the better flies I used while fishing that area. Kirk's also provides very affordable half-day guided trips that is well worth your money. Hope this helps!