The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 10:04 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Cody, WY last two weeks of July 2013

We arrived in Cody on July 14 and had a good dinner there in town. Got the camper set up at the Ponderosa Campground right in town. It is a good location with quite a few trees and the prices were really good especially considering the place filled up every single night. We stayed there all 9 days.

Monday morning we started out on the North Fork of the Shoshone River. We were greeted by a beautiful morning.
Click the image to open in full size.

Rick and I both caught some nice fish right off the bat.
I caught my fish on that first morning on a Bloody Mary sz 12 and a Green Copper John sz 16.

We later went to the North Fork Anglers Fly Shop and picked up a bunch of North Fork Specials and a few other things. We spent a couple days prospecting and found us a few really good places to fish.

The Shoshone National Forest is beautiful and I could have spent the entire time taking pictures but I was there to fish. The camera spent most of the time in the Trailblazer.

Our first crack at stillwater fishing in Cody was at Newton Lake not far from town. We were mainly gunning for browns with olive Woolly Buggers and had some good success. Fishing the cattails was fun and infuriating all at once!
The browns fought like bulls but the big rainbows in the lake seemed to tire quickly in the warm water.

We also managed to hit Lily Lake up in the Beartooth Mountains for some small fish on dries. The drive on the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway was a lot of fun with great views everywhere we turned....and we turned a LOT!!!

We had to get up early in the morning and caught a nice sunrise.

Lily Lake was a nice place to fish but the fish were small. It was still fun to throw a nice, light Elk Hair Caddis and catch some dimpling trout.

On the way back to Cody we did some fishing in the Clark's Fork. We didn't kill them but I managed to catch a couple more fish.

We did a lot more fishing in the North Fork of the Shoshone and had our best success there.
stenacron, shortyb, yonder and 2 others like this.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Bighorn River part of the trip

We were really lucky to get to spend a day with Larry Mcnerney in his drift boat on the Bighorn River. I had an off day but Rick tore them up on a red San Juan Worm that by most accounts wasn't going to work.

Here is Rick with a colorful Rainbow.
These fish have some gorgeous color and were really temperamental and nasty.

Another broad-shouldered Bow!

This river is a beauty and it was a privilege to float with Larry!
Here is Larry stripping...er...stripping streamers.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cody, WY last two weeks of July 2013

Mike: Great trip report and some gorgeous photos and fish!
mridenour likes this.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Super. Thanks mucho.
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Those are some of the best photos that I have seen for a while. I always envy people like you that can take so many pictures and share them with all of us. Great job.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:25 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

Nice photos, looks like a great trip. Manage to catch any grayling out of lily? I stocked a few thousand in there while working as a seasonal with a hatchery in Wyoming a few years back.
shortyb and mridenour like this.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:13 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Nice pictures and good report! I floated the Bighorn with Larry late May-early June and we did quite well. I would recognize that bridge and red cliffs anywhere!

-Chase
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 AM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Those photos are great, the color and framing is awesome. Looks like a great trip! This area is truly stunning, and you did a great job capturing it.

Ps. Next time come visit me over the pass for your dry fly fix and more twisty roads of beauty. Chief Joseph, and Beartooth pass are some the most stunning drives/rides in the US.

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
Nice photos, looks like a great trip. Manage to catch any grayling out of lily? I stocked a few thousand in there while working as a seasonal with a hatchery in Wyoming a few years back.
Really? I might have to try, I have caught one in my area but super rare. I heard of maybe a few lakes above mystic might hold more population. Be nice to have closer spots to target grayling.
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
No, we didn't catch any grayling which was the main reason we went there. After the fact one of the guys at North Fork Anglers says he catches them on the outflow. We didn't try that.

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 AM ----------

[QUOTE=shortyb;579378]Those photos are great, the color and framing is awesome. Looks like a great trip! This area is truly stunning, and you did a great job capturing it.

Ps. Next time come visit me over the pass for your dry fly fix and more twisty roads of beauty. Chief Joseph, and Beartooth pass are some the most stunning drives/rides in the US.[COLOR="Silver"]

We'll definitely take you up on it. I can't wait to get a chance to go back.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

Thanks for the nice comments about my photos. I am just an average photographer but it is nice to achieve some success capturing a portion of the beauty I got to witness and share with others who appreciate it.
shortyb likes this.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:57 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Nice.....awesome pictures!!!
mridenour likes this.