The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree19Likes
  • 9 Post By countr21
  • 3 Post By utah kelly
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By stenacron
  • 1 Post By dakotakid
  • 1 Post By stimulator2
  • 1 Post By countr21
  • 1 Post By dharkin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Heartache at Deep Creek Lakes in the Winds (report with pics)

Hello all,

Just got back from another epic adventure into the Winds. I explored the incredible Deep Creek Lakes area in the Popo Agie Wilderness of the Wind River Range. I hiked out the Worthern Meadows TH and beelined straight for the Deep Creek Lakes about 13-14 miles from the trailhead. The Deep Crk Lakes area holds an amazing mix of rainbow-cutthroat-golden hybrid lakes as well as a few golden trout lakes.

Long story short, I did not catch any of the trophy goldens that this area is reputed to hold. The top two Deep Creek Lakes hold the nice goldens, but there were murderous winds on the lakes the first few days after I arrived. Strong winds are a common occurrence at altitude, so I just resolved to wait out the wind and fish other waters in the area. I fished two lakes in the lower part of the drainage and caught some beauty cutt-gold hybrids to 15". They ravaged the scud pattern that so often does me justice in the high country. Upon growing tired of the wind on the third day, I hiked down into the Echo Lakes drainage about 500' below the Deep Creek Lakes. I had an absolute blast catching 7-10" brookies on literally every other cast. The action was so hot, that I almost got tired of switching from fly to fly to see if the little brookies would refuse something..........NOPE. Scud? Adams? Pheasant tail? Copper John? Griffith's? Humpy? The brookies inhaled all of em. I caught 18-20 in the short afternoon without trying very hard. Three of the smallest brookies were invited back to camp for dinner (note the campfire grilled pictures)

After fishing a morning midge hatch close to camp, I fell while stepping out of the lake onto the shore. It was a routine spill, but in the process of it all, I bent my reel.

I always carry a backup rod, but I've failed to carry a backup reel. I felt like such a dope. The entire trip suddenly came to a halt only because I was so careless about stepping out of the water onto dry land. I've done enuf sight-seeing in the mountains to last five lifetimes..........so I just resolved to leave right then and there. If I can't fish, I have no reason to be in the high country. Total disappointment!!!!! I had budgeted enough food and time to explore and fish the upper lakes with the golden trout, but now I was useless as an angler. Upon the bad news, the weather turned ideal for fishing.......lots of sun and calm winds.

I tucked my tail and made the hard, forced march back to my little Civic. If I would not have broken my reel, I am very confident I would've returned with glorious pictures of 16"+ goldens.....but it was not to be I guess. This is exactly the prospect that makes fly fishing in the backcountry so wonderful. In the backcountry, nature + destiny can be so sublime yet cruel at the same time.

An amazing, yet humbling trip to say the least.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

imxer, mcnerney, shortyb and 6 others like this.

Last edited by countr21; 08-07-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 AM
mridenour

Default Re: Heartache at Deep Creek Lakes in the Winds (report with pics)

Awesome fish and beautiful location...so sorry about the reel cutting the trip short!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 AM

utah kelly is on a distinguished road

Love that place! Spent some time at Windy and Atlantic. Sorry to hear about your fall. To look on the bright side it could have been worse. Nobody wants to be 13-14 miles in the backcountry with a twisted knee or worse.
mcnerney, countr21 and yonder like this.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great trip report and gorgeous fish/scenery, sorry about the bent reel. Going that far and not getting a chance to really fish the upper lakes sure hurts, but as Kelly said, it could have been worse with a twisted ankle or knee.

Larry
countr21 and yonder like this.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:52 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Great report and awesome photo's... but my heart aches over that broken reel. I would have been absolutely devastated given where you were at the time.

If you don't mind me asking, those scud patterns... would they be the Osthoff patterns the he recommends in his book (Fast Sinking Scud and Mega Scud)? It looks like his Mega Scud pattern in those first two pic's. I've done well with the Fast Sinking Scud (olive, size 14) but I haven't tried the Mega Scud yet.

If anything, you have inspired me to carry a spare reel during my mountain forays.

Tight lines.
countr21 likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Great pics! Tough break on the reel.
countr21 likes this.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:23 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Its hard on you to break gear when fishing is so good . i was crawling over a log jam one time and lost my backup reel out of the back pocket of my vest,hit in the swift water and was swept up under the logs .Nice trip report and very nice fish.
countr21 likes this.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:37 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Great report and awesome photo's... but my heart aches over that broken reel. I would have been absolutely devastated given where you were at the time.

If you don't mind me asking, those scud patterns... would they be the Osthoff patterns the he recommends in his book (Fast Sinking Scud and Mega Scud)? It looks like his Mega Scud pattern in those first two pic's. I've done well with the Fast Sinking Scud (olive, size 14) but I haven't tried the Mega Scud yet.

If anything, you have inspired me to carry a spare reel during my mountain forays.

Tight lines.
Yup, those are Osthoff's scud patterns. His Fast-Sinking Scuds and Soft-Hackle Wooly Worms are absolute money on high lakes. I don't know what I'd do without them. Both patterns do really well either sight-fishing or prospecting blind. His other flies are great too. I especially like the Upland Caddis. I have incredible luck with it skating it on the surface, both in the windy chop or on a calm surface. Goldens are especially fond of it......they'll rocket off the bottom out of nowhere to slam it on the surface.
shortyb likes this.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:01 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

What a fantastic time you must have had and nice work on the photos that included the shots of the fish and surroundings . Bummer about the reel but just imagine if you had broken an arm or leg during the exit. Glad it was only the reel. Is the reel junk? If so, I would make a shadow box (military thing I think) and place it over a collage of the photos of your trip and save it. By the way, I love the photo of the dinner shots..........best eating trout if you ask me.
countr21 likes this.

Last edited by dharkin; 08-12-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:15 PM

kaleun has a spectacular aura aboutkaleun has a spectacular aura about

Note to self: "Get and carry a spare reel, immediately."
Sorry about the trip getting messed up, but nice fish.