The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 11:43 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default re: Little Half Moon Lake, WY (Mystery Solved)

Great report/pic's Larry... great "mystery" too!

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but don't Whitefish have adipose fins (that little fin between the dorsal and the tail... like a trout)?

Click the image to open in full size.

My guess is some type of shiner/chub species. The head/tail says shiner, but the rest is very "chub" like... maybe a Flathead Chub?

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-09-2013, 12:17 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Pike Minnow

dave
Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 PM
mridenour

Mountainwhitefish.aspx

Yeah, definitely have an adipose fin.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:43 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post

Pike Minnow

dave
ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding... I think we have a winner!

Click the image to open in full size.

Good call Dave.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dave: Thanks, much appreciated! I stopped by the fly shop on the way out of town but Mike, the owner was busy with some folks doing a guided trip and Bill the guy behind the counter didn't know. My plan was to stop at Game and Fish on the way back to town but I had the dog in the truck and didn't want to leave him there as it is pretty warm out.

Larry

Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 PM

pho_phizzat is on a distinguished road

The skin sure looks like a pike to me. I have fished that lake but have not caught one of those before.

Also Larry was there some sort of "Event" happen on Boulder Lake/Creek this year? I was fishing the creek above the lake and there were dead fish upside down in the rocks all up the creek bed. Just curious if you have some insight on what happened. I caught about 7 or 8 and they were the only fish I saw alive.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho_phizzat View Post
The skin sure looks like a pike to me. I have fished that lake but have not caught one of those before.

Also Larry was there some sort of "Event" happen on Boulder Lake/Creek this year? I was fishing the creek above the lake and there were dead fish upside down in the rocks all up the creek bed. Just curious if you have some insight on what happened. I caught about 7 or 8 and they were the only fish I saw alive.
Ever since I found out those were pike minnows I have been thinking about going back over there and seeing if I can catch a much larger pike. My problem is that I have never fished for pike so I'm not very confident in the right approach. Last time I was either casting or trowling (SP?) a small black leech pattern. Maybe the ticket would be to use a much larger streamer.

I haven't heard anything, but will ask around at the next TU meeting. I'm also going to make a trip into Game and Fish, I will ask there also.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post

Ever since I found out those were pike minnows I have been thinking about going back over there and seeing if I can catch a much larger pike.
Larry,

Pikeminnows are a species of minnow (like chubs, dace, shiners, etc.)... not to be confused with Northern Pike.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Larry,

Pikeminnows are a species of minnow (like chubs, dace, shiners, etc.)... not to be confused with Northern Pike.
Joe: Thanks, saved me from making a trip back up there only to be disappointed! Today I'm up early, all packed up and ready to head south in search of Colorado Cutthroat.

Larry

Old 08-20-2013, 09:54 AM

pho_phizzat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Ever since I found out those were pike minnows I have been thinking about going back over there and seeing if I can catch a much larger pike. My problem is that I have never fished for pike so I'm not very confident in the right approach. Last time I was either casting or trowling (SP?) a small black leech pattern. Maybe the ticket would be to use a much larger streamer.

I haven't heard anything, but will ask around at the next TU meeting. I'm also going to make a trip into Game and Fish, I will ask there also.
If you are going after northern pike, streamers pulled through the vegetation from what I have seen. Anything that looks like a bait fish should work.

The water wasn't too warm so I don't think that was it. I am wondering if they had some sort of alge bloom?

Good luck going after your colorados. If you find some shoot me a hint of where a guy could locate them. I am going to start my slam next trip out there.