The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Little Half Moon Lake, WY (Mystery Solved)

Yesterday afternoon I went exploring, wanted to see what Little Half Moon Lake looked like, so I loaded up the gear, the Pontoon boat and the dog and headed out. What I found was an absolutely beautiful setting, with no one there, although there are a few camping sites along the edge of the lake, seemed kind of strange seeing how nice the wx has been. The fishing was very good, but all were small fish, the first two were rainbows after that I had no idea what I was catching, I wasn't counting but guessing I probably landed 30 fish, nothing over 12", but lots of fun. However, I did have an interesting thing happen, as I was reeling in a small fish of maybe 6" a much bigger fish grabbed him and we had a real fight going but he let go before I could get a good look......so I guess there are at least some big fish there.
View from the ridge dropping into the lake, you can see the boat landing on the far right.
Click the image to open in full size.
Rigging up at the boat ramp:
A nice rainbow:
Another rainbow:
Here is what was left after the bigger fish tried to make him lunch:
I have no idea what this is, but the lake is full of them:

Old 08-08-2013, 10:28 AM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light
Default re: Little Half Moon Lake, WY (Mystery Solved)

Nice little lake full of mountain whitefish. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM
mridenour

Great report! Wish I was still in Wyoming!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Great report! Wish I was still in Wyoming!
Mike: Thanks! You have any idea what those fish are that I was catching yesterday (besides the two rainbows)?

Larry

Old 08-08-2013, 10:51 AM
mridenour

Larry, I think they are Mountain Whitefish but more colorful that the pics I see on the web.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice lake Larry....was looking forward to seeing the pics of those fish....they look like made in the US blageons to me
http://michaelprobst.phpnet.org/word...GP-blageon.jpg
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster ii View Post
Nice little lake full of mountain whitefish. Click the image to open in full size.
Steve: I looked on the Wyoming Game and Fish site and I think you are correct. All the whitefish I have ever caught in the rivers are all very light colored, not dark like the once I caught yesterday, but looking at the top photo on their fish identification page it shows a dark colored fish. If you scroll down to the bottom, that is more what I have caught in the past.
Mountainwhitefish.aspx

Larry

Old 08-08-2013, 02:19 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Cool!!! Good job on the whitefish. They look delicious to eat (don't know as I've never caught or eaten any). Did you take some home with ya?
Old 08-08-2013, 03:46 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Steve: I looked on the Wyoming Game and Fish site and I think you are correct. All the whitefish I have ever caught in the rivers are all very light colored, not dark like the once I caught yesterday, but looking at the top photo on their fish identification page it shows a dark colored fish. If you scroll down to the bottom, that is more what I have caught in the past.
Mountainwhitefish.aspx

Larry
Well I thought they were mtn whitefish but yours seem to be lacking the adipose fin according to the link you posted.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster ii View Post
Well I thought they were mtn whitefish but yours seem to be lacking the adipose fin according to the link you posted.
Steve
Good point, I guess I need to run over to the WY Game and Fish office and see what they say.

Larry

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
Cool!!! Good job on the whitefish. They look delicious to eat (don't know as I've never caught or eaten any). Did you take some home with ya?
No I didn't take any home, at the time I had no idea what they were and I didn't bother to look in the WY fishing regs to see what the rules were for that lake. Maybe I should take a peek to see if it is even open for fishing.