The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By chi flyfisher
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 2 Post By williamhj
  • 2 Post By jslo
  • 1 Post By chi flyfisher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 09:06 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Colorado's Front Range

Well I'm off to spend a couple of days in the great City of Denver. My brother in law beat me there to live but I'll be joining him in a few years. I had hoped to grab a guide for Monday/Tuesday but have been unsuccessful. I tried some local contacts and some of their connections in CO and have come up empty.

It's just as well. I honestly think if I really wanted a guide I would have tried a little harder to hire one. I'm armed with my trusty Colorado Gazetteer I've used in prior trips to the Vail Valley and a recommended book by Comeonavs of Rocky Mountain National Park, a small arsenal of 3, 4(2) and 5 weights and I'm ready to do what I like to think I do best - explore and give it an honest shot. Bugs are an area I'll need to get some guidance on from a local fly shop. I'll pick up a more detailed map of a specific area I want to fish and I'll fish hard. A guide would certainly shorten the curve, get me on fish faster, and increase the numbers (generally, of course). But it will sure feel good if and when I bring that first cut or wild 'bow to hand.

Should be a great weekend, family, Pirates playing at Coor's Field (bonus, didn't know that when we planned the trip), and some time fishing the Front Range. Sounds darn fine to me.

Cheers!

Mike.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Colorado's Front Range

Have a great trip mate. If our fishing trips of years past are any indication of what you'll get into out there, I've no doubt you'll be on the fish. Looking forward to a trip report and some photos mate
jslo likes this.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colorado's Front Range

Sent you a PM. If you're still looking for a guide, check out the Colorado Trout Fisher or the Fly Fisher Guide service, depending on your price range. The former is on public water and the latter on private. Enjoy Colorado, hope to get out fishing myself this week
chi flyfisher and jslo like this.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:57 PM

jslo will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you are iffy on a guide, but if you decide to get serious about one- and feel like being north front range (Big Thompson, Cache La Poudre, Rocky Mtn Natl Park..) I'd seriously consider St. Peter's Fly Shop in Fort Collins. I know the folks there pretty well, and could even stop by and see what the scoop on guides is for you. They cover all that water and more- and do a fine job of it. In fact I was just with one of their guides on Monday and it was fantastic even though I was fishing my home water! (I had a guest in town and wanted him on fish w/o the pressure myself. I wanted to fish too!).

Too bad it wasn't this week, I could've gone with you or put you on fish a few days. I will have fished 6 out of the last 7 days after tomorrow And 4 of the 6 will have been on my home river, CLP. PM me if you decide to fish it! It's near Fort Collins. I can give you some "e-guiding" (bugs, spots, etc) . Depending on which side of Denver it might not be too long a drive.

This is a book you will want or wish you had if you fish RMNP!
Click the image to open in full size.

good luck and have fun!
chi flyfisher and williamhj like this.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:12 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslo View Post
Sounds like you are iffy on a guide, but if you decide to get serious about one- and feel like being north front range (Big Thompson, Cache La Poudre, Rocky Mtn Natl Park..) I'd seriously consider St. Peter's Fly Shop in Fort Collins. I know the folks there pretty well, and could even stop by and see what the scoop on guides is for you. They cover all that water and more- and do a fine job of it. In fact I was just with one of their guides on Monday and it was fantastic even though I was fishing my home water! (I had a guest in town and wanted him on fish w/o the pressure myself. I wanted to fish too!).

Too bad it wasn't this week, I could've gone with you or put you on fish a few days. I will have fished 6 out of the last 7 days after tomorrow And 4 of the 6 will have been on my home river, CLP. PM me if you decide to fish it! It's near Fort Collins. I can give you some "e-guiding" (bugs, spots, etc) . Depending on which side of Denver it might not be too long a drive.

This is a book you will want or wish you had if you fish RMNP!
Click the image to open in full size.

good luck and have fun!
Nice. That's the book I'm reading!
jslo likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:58 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

I'll second the guys at St.Petes as well. (I'm in there at least once a week). Cody is probably one of the bests guides I have ever had.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:39 AM

jslo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicedog View Post
I'll second the guys at St.Petes as well. (I'm in there at least once a week). Cody is probably one of the bests guides I have ever had.
slice, I'm sure we've crossed paths at some point. I'm also in there 1-2x per week and I agree, Cody is outstanding. That's actually who I had go with my out of towner on Monday.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:44 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Bummer about the rod choices.........Only 6 wt rods are allowed in August. Your brother in law never told you about that did he? JK

I hope you have a great time.