The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 AM

i_throw_bugs is on a distinguished road
Default Headed to MT. Stream suggestions?

Might be another similar post that I haven't found yet, If so could you point me in that direction?

Anyway, I'm Headed to MT next week for a long awaited trip west (coming from GA). Flying into Butte, headed towards Sweet Grass creek to start the trip. there for a week. May take a trip down to Yellowstone and hit some small streams as well. Still bouncing ideas at this point.

Just wondering if anyone has some suggestions for rivers/creeks that are wadeable and allow camping. I'll have a car, but only bringing my backpack, so if that opens up more suggestions...perfect! I'm not asking for secret spots or anything, just a few suggestions around the Bozeman/Yellowstone/Butte area. Any help would be great!

Thanks to all!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:57 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Headed to MT. Stream suggestions?

There is so many places to fish between Butte and Big Timber.. you'll have to narrow it a little

If you go down into YNP.. through Gardiner - that opens up another huge range of places.

NE Section of the park - is great (Lamar drainage)

The park probably isn't the best fishing, but the scenery is spectacular

Just curious.. why fly into Butte?
Old 08-09-2013, 02:05 PM

Flying into Butte instead of Bozeman saved almost $300 off the flight. Small layover in Salt Lake City, but worth the savings. Recent college grad, so every bit of savings helps!

what about smaller mountain streams? something that is less accessible? More interested in smaller creeks and streams than big rivers.

Thought about pebble creek in YS, maybe one of the meadows on Slough. Not sure if that narrows it down at all. Agenda is pretty open at this point, just ready to get out there and do some good fishing.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:17 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Big Timber is stone's throw from the Crazy Mountains. If you want small, secluded mountain streams just get a good map and look for trailheads on streams. I've never been there, but I know streams are abundant. Also there are plenty of small streams in YNP, but save for the crowds stick to the Crazies.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:14 AM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

The Crazies are good, but just about any mountain range between Butte and Billings will have trailheads at the downstream ends of creeks coming out of the mountains that hold unsophisticated, if usually small, trout, often native cutthroats. Heck, just in the 50 mile stretch of the Yellowstone valley between Gardiner and Livingston there must be at least 8 or 10 fishable creeks.

Also, since this is a low water year, right now there are plenty of wadeable areas of the larger rivers as well. Going up into the park is always a treat, but you don't have to in order to find a variety of fishing opportunities from small creeks to big rivers, native cutthroats to big rainbows and browns, secluded spots to popular but still good rivers.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the replys everyone. Think we've narrowed it down to the Gallatin Natl Forest. Looking at Rock creek, taylor creek, and meadow Creek. Ever fished any of those?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:10 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Couple of questions.......are you referring to the Rock Creek that runs through Red Lodge??...........and have you ever been to Yellowstone N.P.??

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-12-2013, 12:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

One thing you want to keep in mind about fishing in Montana is that it's one BIG State, like Texas sized. Pick one Geo area and stick with it. In Montana you can start a drive from 'no where' and four hours later you're still 'no where.'

One last thought I always tell folks is Petrol Stations can be one hell of a long way apart. Get to a bit below a half tank of gas ... fill up again.
yonder likes this.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:38 PM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

Excellent advice by Fred. I would pick one small area and then hit it hard. My initial trip out here we tried to cover everything. It's impossible and you just end up driving a lot. Most all of the MT rivers have miles of water to cover that you could spend an entire vacation just hitting one of them and still not see all the fishable water.
yonder likes this.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:50 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
Excellent advice by Fred. I would pick one small area and then hit it hard. My initial trip out here we tried to cover everything. It's impossible and you just end up driving a lot. Most all of the MT rivers have miles of water to cover that you could spend an entire vacation just hitting one of them and still not see all the fishable water.
Agreed... I'd limit it to the area bordered by

Kootenai................Missouri
|..............................|
|..............................|
Beaverhead .............Big Horn

should only take about +/- 3 years, if you'll fish during the winter too

(kidding)

Also, next week you're probably fine, bring light rain gear, for the usual afternoon 4:30 thunderstorm, and watch for lightening/hail.. after that.. always a good idea to have some warmer gear, you'll get the odd late September with some snow in the higher elevations 7K plus
fredaevans, swampdonkey and yonder like this.