The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chasing Bonneville Cutthroats

I just returned from a two day trip down into the tri-basin area of Wyoming. My goal was to land a Bonneville Cutthroat as I'm trying to complete the Wyoming Cut Slam program where you need to land and document each of the four species of cutties that reside in Wyomng (Yellowstone, Colorado, Snake River and Bonneville).
Wyoming Game & Fish Department
I already have a few Snake River cutthroats and I think Yellowstone cutties from fishing in the Wind River Range last summer, but need to pay a visit with the Game and Fish Dept to verify they are actually Yellowstone cutties.
Here is the campsite:
Click the image to open in full size.
That afternoon after getting the camp setup, I rigged up my Orvis Superfine 3 WT and decided to try my luck on the local screek, electing not to go too far due to a thunderstorm just over the ridge. The creek near camp was loaded with these little cutties all more than eager to go after a dry fly, but boy your reaction time has to be fast, these little fish can spit a fly out in a split second. If I was hunting fish this size all the time I would definitely be looking for a 1 or 2 wt fly rod.

The next morning I got up early, fixed some coffee and breakfast and then hit the trail to hike up to the local lake:
Another view:

Another nice Bonneville Cuttie:
Another view:
After landing those terrific looking cutties, the trout just disappeared and I could hear thunder off in the distance with this storm brewing, so I packed up and started the hike back to camp:
A view of the basin I was fishing in:

Larry
Old 08-14-2013, 02:19 PM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Chasing Bonneville Cutthroats

Those are some beautiful fish. Good luck on completing the slam!
Old 08-14-2013, 03:22 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Larry: that looks to have been a good trip i hope you get to complete the slam soon.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:44 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Great pictures, what beautiful fish. I also enjoyed the picture of camp, bet that tent felt good when the rain came.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:24 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Congratulations Larry, on ticking another trout off of your list. That is a really interesting looking cutty, is the lack of spots a distinctive feature of the Bonneville?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:53 PM

two_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the rough

looks like an awesome trip. Seems like rain showers have been a pretty consistent occurrence throughout Wyoming this year. I know I could point you to some yellowstones around Dubois. Some big ones at that too.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:46 PM

Poke 'Em has a spectacular aura aboutPoke 'Em has a spectacular aura aboutPoke 'Em has a spectacular aura about

Looks like a Wonderland.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:49 PM

jslo will become famous soon enough

Awesome pics! Nice report. So cool to see beautiful land like that, I love it.

Congrats on the cutties! Nice.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful place and fish...glad you get your WCS certificateI can see a furry beast on the first pic Larry....it looks like a ras
Old 08-15-2013, 01:24 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

As always Larry, great report and great pictures!

I didn't realize just how many subspecies of Cutthroat Trout there were until I moved out west... pretty cool.

One of the recent issues of Fly Fisherman ran a nice story from a guy that was traveling and clicking Cutthroat subspecies off his list (complete with beautiful watercolor renderings).

Any thoughts on where you'll go after the Colorado River Cutt's... or do you already have that one in the bag?

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring