The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 01:31 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Almont/Gunnison Area - anyone been?

Has anyone fished the East/Taylor/Gunnison River valleys recently?

I'm headed to Almont for a couple days later this month and was just wondering; how the river conditions are, hatch activity (if any), and if the Koke's have started to move yet.

That reminds me, I need to pick up some materials for tying Mysis Shrimp... gotta run!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-17-2013, 10:31 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Almont/Gunnison Area - anyone been?

Fly Fishing in Gunnison, Colorado - Gunnison River, East River, and Taylor River - with Willowfly Anglers

That is the fly shop located in Almont next to the little bar. Stop there and get some killer fries and a buffalo burger. And if that cute, blonde, cross country running, Western State chick is still waiting tables tell her I said hi!

A couple friends fished it last week and said small is the word. Midges and mysis shrip with a smattering of BWO emergers. I was there this time last year and had great success with Charlie Cravens Mo Hair on top water.

Randy
Old 08-24-2013, 06:06 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Almont/Gunnison Area - anyone been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post

Fly Fishing in Gunnison, Colorado - Gunnison River, East River, and Taylor River - with Willowfly Anglers

That is the fly shop located in Almont next to the little bar. Stop there and get some killer fries and a buffalo burger. And if that cute, blonde, cross country running, Western State chick is still waiting tables tell her I said hi!

A couple friends fished it last week and said small is the word. Midges and mysis shrip with a smattering of BWO emergers. I was there this time last year and had great success with Charlie Cravens Mo Hair on top water.

Randy
Thank you Randy... I know the joint you're talking about. We usually eat a lunch (or two) there during our trip. Keeping an eye out for that cute blonde.

I just spoke to Dennis at Willowfly on Thursday... he reports good fishing on the upper Taylor (C&R) and decent hatches of PMD's and BWO's. Unfortunately not much in the way of Kokanee action yet... but maybe we'll hit it just right.

Leave tomorrow at 4:30a. Full report when I get back (if not sooner).

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring