The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wyoming Grayling

Very nice Larry. The Grayling lake near me is full of 6" fish, so those look like nice fish.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Very nice Larry. The Grayling lake near me is full of 6" fish, so those look like nice fish.
John: I was really surprised to see that those fish were the size they were. A few years back Frank Whitton had clued me in on that lake, but warned me that the fish were small, not like the Grayling we were used to catching in Alaska, so I too was thinking more in the line of 6 inch fish.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

That's a nice surprise. Maybe I should go back to the lake here, its been quite a a few years...
Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Larry,

I am glad you finely got some of those Grayling. Yours are quite a bit bigger than I ever caught at that lake.

When I was in Alaska I started with dry flies and was never satisfied with the size fish I was getting. I tied up a weighted Gray woolly worm with Grizzly hackle and a red butt. That was my most successful fly except for a Burlap weighted streamer fly with a Grizzly hackle and Grizzly tail. That Burlap streamer was a killer for big Grayling. I fished them both on a wet tip fly line.

Since I lived in Fairbanks for so many years I had a lot of opportunity at Grayling. I found that the technique that worked the best was to let the fly sink to the bottom and then slowly lift the fly a foot or so and let it drop back down. The take almost always came on the lift.

I discovered the lift technique one day after fishing all day. I was fishing down river at Tangle Lakes and was tired. My wife wanted to go back to camp and I was crossing a shallow riffle with my line in the water trailing behind me. I had the rod over my shoulder like a rifle. Dang if I did didn't catch a fish as I was walking. I released that fish and thought that was strange the way I hooked it. I walked back down stream again and repeated the same walk dragging the fly and again I caught a fish. After the third fish I decided that the moving fly was important. On the next trip I experimented with drifting the fly into a hole and letting it settle and then using the pickup and drop technique to retrieve the fly. From that day forward I was a killer Grayling fly fisher.

Frank
Old 08-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Frank: Great talking with you on Skype this morning. Thanks for the Grayling tips, I will have to go back up there and give your technique a try, might be some larger fish in there.

Larry

Old 08-22-2013, 12:16 PM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough

Nice thread. I just caught my first Wyoming Grayling at a small lake outside of JH. Only 6-8" fish, but it was prime huckleberry season. The entire 2.5 mile hike in was covered with em...ended up filling 2 Nalgene bottle full. Got home and made the lady friend some delicious crepes!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:26 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have caught them in lakes using an indicator and fishing deep just above the weed beds. The trick was to rip about 18 - 24 inches of line in and then let it settle. Caught most of mine when the fly was dropping back down.

Dave
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:17 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Grayling! Neat!

I've never caught a grayling. Very pretty fish to say the least. And from what I know about grayling, those are some pretty respectable fish, Larry. Well done, sir.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Larry,

Well Done. I do not want to promote revenge, but It is always a little sweeter when you get a chance at a specific fish or species that has previously beating up on you.. I have not netted a Grayling in a long while. Grayling often live in some of the most beautiful country. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 08-22-2013, 06:43 PM

bquick will become famous soon enough

Beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing!