The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wyoming Grayling

Last summer I went out after Wyoming Grayling only to fail, I had three strikes, missed them all, then got ran off the lake by a thunderstorm. Today I went out for a little revenge, the valley is full of smoke, not sure if it is the Upper Green fire or something blowing in from the west, but at any rate it is the first day this summer we have had smoke filled skies. I made it out to the lake early and found that it was way down from last year and the weed growth on the south side made it almost impossible to fish, but I was headed back to the area I had fished the year before, the south side. I rigged up with a small black godard caddis and caught a nice Grayling right off the bat. Lots of fish coming up to the surface making for some exciting fishing, I had brought the Scott G2 4 wt, but that was too much rod for these fish, wish I had brought out the Orvis Superfine 3 wt, I think that would have been the ticket.
Click the image to open in full size.
I think this is the same fish, different view:
Finally spotted the bug that all the fish were coming up after, so I switched my fly out to a small parachute adams:

jpbfly, cochise, stenacron and 6 others like this.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:02 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wyoming Grayling

What fun! Stillwater dry action is my favorite. Nice sized grayling, too!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 PM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

Great fish Larry,

What lake did you catch this in? PM me if you want. I ask because I catch them all the time in the Big horns, Way up High cloud peak, Seven brothers, ETC.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Several very respectable grayling...I love catching those things and if you tickle their belly they will raise the sail for you.
Not that I mount fish but have always heard 18" is a respectable mount and anything over 20" is a real wopper! Congratulations on a great day.

Dave
Old 08-15-2013, 10:21 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Those are really nice size, wow!

Looking back on my trip to the Uintas I wish I would have spent more time throwing a Calibaetis nymph... might have turned the trick on a few more fish.

Next time!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Those are really nice size, wow!

Looking back on my trip to the Uintas I wish I would have spent more time throwing a Calibaetis nymph... might have turned the trick on a few more fish.

Next time!
Joe: I think you are correct, as the Calibaetis hatch died out I had already landed 6-7 fish, missed several others, so I was ready to head in, but decided to tie on a BH Hare's Ear nymph with a Slump Buster trailer and just let the wind drift me back toward the boat ramp with a little assistance from the fins on occasion. On the way in I landed another six fish. This really surprised me as I had caught lots of Grayling while I lived in Fairbanks, AK but it was always on small dry flies, so I had no idea they would be so responsive to a nymph or small streamer.

Larry
shortyb likes this.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Larry....nice fish...great you could find the right flyand take your G2 out
Old 08-16-2013, 07:21 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Great fishing and great report.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Larry,
Great job catching those Grayling! Still on my to do list.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Last evening I went to a birthday party and was talking about fishing on that lake and this guy pulls out his camera and shows me a big box full of crawdads he caught up there. He had built some sort of a folding net, as it is lowered into the water it spreads out, he leaves it for about a half hour, then when he pulls on the cord the net collapes and he hauls it to the surface. Anyway, kind of interesting that the lake has that many crawdads.

Larry