The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 03:01 PM

brylonaron is on a distinguished road
Default Northgate Canyon

Anyone fished there lately? I haven't been there for a number of years. I'm sure it's low, clear and getting warm. Just wondering if anyone had been there recently. I'm new on this forum so no need for a lot of details, maybe just a thumbs up thumbs down report. Thank you
Old 08-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northgate Canyon

Welcome to the forum! I can't help with current info as I haven't been there in years, but as you know it is a beautiful place to fish, might be better as the wx starts to cool off in Sept.

The water level is definitely low:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wy/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060

Old 08-16-2013, 09:04 PM

Thank you. I'm guessing tricos will be coming off. The spinner fall used to very good there. I'll find out next week and post a report.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to your report. I forgot to mention to look at the North Park Anglers river report, here is the link, it will give you a good idea on what to expect:

North Park Anglers

Old 08-16-2013, 10:05 PM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

On a related topic, what does everyone consider to be the end definitions for the North Platte's Northgate Canyon?

I've never seen it clearly defined on a map, but I consider it to be from the Routt Access point to the Pickeroon/Douglas Creek confluence.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:49 PM

I fished the Northgate/Six mile gap stretch earlier this week. It's hard to have a bad day in a place that beautiful. Bald eagles soaring over the canyon rim, fresh bear scat on the trail, tough to beat. The fishing wasn't bad either. Not lights out, but decent. Water is low and clear. Find a pocket or deeper slot and there would be a fish. I haven't been there for years but I was surprised at the number of small fish. 6 to 10 inch browns and rainbows everywhere. I did manage to find a number of 14 to 16 inch fish as well. All very healthy and full of energy. Tricos started coming off around seven am. Spinner fall came fast and furious from about 8:30 to 9. That half hour had lots of fish on the surface. I used a size 22 spent wing trailed behind a size 16 parachute Adams. Worked very well for me. The rest of the day I fished hopper/dropper setup in the pockets and deeper runs. Standard bead heads like prince, copper johns etc... Sizes 16 to 14 dropped off a Dave's hopper or stimulator kept me into fish most of the day. Not lights out fishing but it was a great way to spend my 40th birthday!
mcnerney, cpiercem and Joey Bagels like this.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:21 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I'm heading there this weekend, any updates / reports would be appreciated. I am assuming it is the normal Trico/Caddis time of year with the usual RS2, copper johns , pheasant tails hares ears and streamers this time of year..
Old 09-09-2013, 11:05 AM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

Update for anyone interested: I fished the canyon last weekend. I got to the river at 8 - not sure if I missed the Trico hatch or if it just didn't come off as big as I expected.

Lots of small hatches in the morning from 8-9:30, mainly Tricos and Caddis (didn't see one BWO but they have to be out there...). Fished all morning until about 2 in the afternoon and landed 15 fish while missing another half dozen - nothing bigger than 13-14 inches, all rainbows except for one brown.

I fished various tandem rigs of indicators (small thingamabob, chubby, hoppers) - to nymphs (PT, Trico-emergers/spinners, prince, copper-johns). I had two fish blow up on a small thingamabob indicator so I threw on some hoppers and chubbys on as my indicator, but the fish seemed to like the hookless indicator more than the hoppers. The nymphs that had the most hookups were pheasant-tails, prince nymphs, and chartreuse copper-johns.

Also saw a lot more bear sign than usual but never saw the culprit. The water levels are fine/clear/cool/healthy, whereas this time last year they were dangerously low.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:12 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

Any recent updates? Thinking about going up tomorrow...I've never fished there before but it sounds amazing. A few questions:

1. I'm surprised there aren't bigger fish? I guess I think North Platte and I think 18"+ fish.
2. Is it wadeable from the Routt access point? (I don't have a drift boat!

Any info is helpful
Old 08-22-2014, 08:43 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Heading to Northgate canyon next weekend. Anyone been there lately, North Park Anglers fishing report is quite generic.

I have just about finished my box of smalls for me and my buddies for this trip. Need to make sure I have some caddis emerges ready to go to.

Qty
18 hot wire RS2 size 20
18 BH RS2 Grey
18 BH RS2 Olive
18 RS2 PMD size 20
12 RS2 grey size 24
6 RS2 grey size 26
18 Barr Emerger PMD size 18
18 PMD Spinners size 20
18 pmd spinners size 22
18 CDC Comparadun PMD
18 Hi parachute vis BWO size 20