The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 12:21 PM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nice Cutts and Goldens in the Fitzpatrick Wilderness (Winds)

awesome. thanks so much for sharing, and good luck out there!
countr21 likes this.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:55 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

My god, there really is something in the water up there in the Winds. Such huge, brilliantly-colored fish... simply amazing.

Question: Do you weight your scud patterns?
countr21 likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-22-2013, 04:48 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Question: Do you weight your scud patterns?
I buy the scud pattern from Rich Osthoff in Wisconsin. He specifically designed his scuds for high altitude lakes and deep cruising trout. He affectionately calls his years of fishing the Rocky Mtn backcountry before he developed his scud as BS - Before Scud. He calls it the Fast-Sinking Scud. He ties the FS Scud with weighted wire to enhance the sink rate.

When I arrive to a high country lake and see cruising trout, I immediately tie on a FS Scud whether the fish are feeding on top or not. I don't care if I'm fishing brookies, cutts, or goldens..........they all ravage Osthoff's scud patterns. All you gotta do is let them see it. When you spot a cruiser, no matter how deep, just drop the scud anywhere in the trout's path. If the trout doesn't immediately see it, just give the fly a little twitch to give the trout an opportunity to see it. When the fish spots the fly, they immediately swim over to investigate. Sometimes, spotting conditions are so good on high lakes, you can visibly see the trout take the fly and you set the hook. But usually, you can't see your fly. You just see the cruiser take interest and race toward your fly.......when they stop, wait a second or two, and set the hook. More often than not, the trout has taken the scud and the hook set is a good one.

Upon Osthoff's recommendations, I usually tie the scud on a twelve foot leader with a lot of tippet, up to four feet sometimes. The long line enhances the sink rate of the FS Scud.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:52 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

Wow! We need to go fishing sometime. What great fish. Just great pics and great settings, great fish.

Great post! Thanks for putting it up