The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 01:04 PM

jmc5000 is on a distinguished road
Default Paradise Valley & YNP Labor Day trip concerns

Growing concerned about air and water quality and conditions during my long awaited trip to MT/WY over Sept 1-8... Been following threads and reading news about fishing closures and of course the terrible wildfires. There is a fairly big fire west of Emigrant (where we are staying). I deal for folks out west and feel awkward about posting regarding my vacation plans but have spent many weeks in this area over the years and have not had to contend with these potential conditions before although I have been in proximity to wildfires, smoke, etc.. and it's no picnic.

If anybody from this area cares to comment on the conditions and what I can expect water-wise and air quality e.g. smoke around the Paradise Valley and YNP - particularly Slough Creek and Soda Butte Cr areas I would appreciate any info, encouragement, caution, etc...

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 08-25-2013, 08:49 AM

kyle  brehm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Paradise Valley & YNP Labor Day trip concerns

Fires still on. You may wish to contact folks near your destination directly
regarding conditions.
Park's Fly Shop also a must contact at Gardiner.

THE WATERs SHOULD BE STELLAR ! ! !

You can get a general idea of the smoke in the area from some of the web cams. Unfortunately I see the Mt Washburn device is down and the second one is locked in on a Wednesday view. The Wednesday view is typical of what I've seen on it all week. It's looking east from a point south of the north entrance.

Go to Montana Fly Fishing Information at Big Sky Fishing.Com and look for the webcam link.

And I'll try to post it here: Montana Web Cams : Directory of all Montana Webcams

We had contemplated a long day's outing over the holiday to hike and fish YNP. Since my guest has asthma we've cancelled. Not the best place for anybody with any sort of respiratory issues.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:07 AM

jmc5000 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Paradise Valley & YNP Labor Day trip concerns

Kyle - thanks for the note. I did check out web cams last night and appreciate the link to the other web cams. Will also contact Parks Fly Shop as suggested. Always stop in there on way in to the park and they are great folks.

We've been in contact with our property manager and are keeping an eye on things.

Regards,

Jerry