The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By long bow
  • 2 Post By dean_mt
  • 1 Post By yonder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 11:26 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough
Default Every Where Else Is On Fire....

Fished the Missouri the other day with everyone else up by the dam. While dodging boats and row-backs I managed to dance around with a few fish on cripples and spent spinners. Nothing more satisfying than that "GULP" of a pod and a fish chooses your fly out of 1.3 billion all floating down together. Saw a lot of thingamabobers (the stream salad is less up there) but figured I'd settle for fighting a few on top.

The water is still pretty low (you know its a bad water year in MT when the Missouri is too low and hot) and fingers are crossed for some rain for a multitude of reasons.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:30 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Every Where Else Is On Fire....

If today's weather in Southern Oregon is any indication, you've got a lot of rain coming at you. First time its really rained in months. From here to SW Montana is about 36 hours; should be 'there' in about 6 hours (+/-)

Fred
Old 08-26-2013, 08:20 AM

Fred,

Had a few "sprinkles" and thunder last night...hope lightening didn't strike up high. Still in the nineties--come on October
Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Every Where Else Is On Fire....

We got 'lucky' yesterday depending upon where you were. T and L but between .3 to .5 inches of rain through Nor-Cal/Southern Oregon. Didn't put out the fires, but did go a long way in 'suppressing' their expansion. At 0300 something the sky here was clear, heavy cloud cover moving in again and packing up against the Cascades.

What we get, you'll get in 24 to 36 hours due to prevailing wind direction. One of my morning reads is the local newspaper out of Hamilton, MT. First read the paper close to three years ago and go there first thing every morning. Local news is a total hoot. But the point is clocking the time difference between our weather and what they get over the Bitterroot.

E-mail the former wife/Step Son and 'Here's what to expect.' My predictions surpass that of the National Weather Service.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:44 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

We got a storm yesterday evening. The good part was the hard rain shower. The bad part was the heavy wind that preceded it and the thunder and lightening. We just can't win. Over 100 lightening strikes recorded last night with multiple new fire starts. If only this heat would break...not that I personally even notice that it's 89 degrees but for the fires. It's just nuts, this heat. Nuts.

My neighbor is dispatcher for the USFS, I've only seen him a couple minutes in that past month. He works constantly. I texted him to ask when we could have a beer over the fence, I wanted to hear some stories, his reply: November.
fredaevans and dharkin like this.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:43 PM

This is a very good neighbor: ".... I wanted to hear some stories, his reply: November." I've long since lost count on how many thousands of men/women/support were out in the field at this point in time.

Old story, but many years ago I was a Vollie Cook and we were feeding over 1,000 men three times a day. Up at 0300 and started 'cooking; pancakes/eggs (scrambled), saugies, and how fast could you make sandwiches for take out lunches? Buckets of 'KoolAid' and GatorAid for the trucks. About 9 - 10 in the morning and every thing cleaned up and back in your tent for a few hours sleep.

Restart at about 1700. Hundreds of pounds of steaks/hamburger/trimmings and God knows how many pounds of Potato Salad (commercially made) and fresh Green Salads. Men so tired you had to encourage them to eat. Something.

By the end of the first week you'd see the 'Thousand Yard Stare' and go get a Doctor or a Army Medic. Fellow had 'Shot his bolt,' there was nothing left.

Call my office once a day and 'Here's where I'm at and here's what I'm doing.' Honest to God, made call/hooked into the Chairman of the Board: "We're damned proud of you! Stay/Serve as long as necessary."

Left on vacation as a Vice President, came home as a Sr. Vice President.

Back home and I stank like a Forest Fire for a couple of weeks. Same clothing for three weeks then, wash out of a bucket. Etc., you smelled like a BBQ, even in a three piece suit the smoke was so 'skin imbued.'

No one made a comment that I know of......

fae
Old 08-26-2013, 02:39 PM

I can only stay positive through all this is having friends making money off the fires and making them buy the drinks (in late fall on their first day off in months )
Old 08-26-2013, 03:28 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

My son is one of those guys who fight the fires......does the swift water rescue thing.......flood rescues..EMT work....you name it.....rescues on a good day, recovery on the bad ones.......and he is a volunteer. He does this in his spare time, when he is off of his day job.......incredible people doing incredible things......that is who he is, and I am proud!!
waterfordcreek likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton