The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dhayden
  • 1 Post By yonder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 12:27 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about
Default Yellowstone, Tetons and Idaho here I come

Well, I have read, researched and begged for advice on bugs and perfect spots.
I have gotten some great advice and some wild goose chases and all of that combined with some luck I should be happy with a few fish and some great scenery.
Everybody says bring a camera. I took so many pictures last time I didn't get to see what I was shooting-make sense? The camera gear is coming along cuz I am an amateur photo hobbyist but at the same time I also want to sit on a rock or a log and just take it in.
Any last advice? And any non fishing related stops I "need" to make. We have a group of 8 and only 2 fly fishing so we sort of have to hang out doing other things. Regardless of what we do I am sure we will have a great time.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Yellowstone, Tetons and Idaho here I come

Take a bunch of photos.
Guess you know where to try in Yellowstone NP, and where to avoid, right?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:34 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

I would have looked more into fishing yellowstone but decided to avoid it since I will be with family and I dont want to look like Im ignoring anybody. Next trip out I will know where to avoid for sure. I guess I would avoid stretch that has ever had a book written about it or shown up on the cover of a magazine with a guy holding a 36" monster cutt. So, I will not go to those places.
I have a buddy who used to live in Jackson and he gave me his spots, but they were his spots several years ago and they may have cooled off since.

I will however take any advice from you if you have any suggestions.
thanks a ton. I will take lots of pics
Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

chechem has my ears perked up also............12 more days........!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-26-2013, 02:20 PM

Yonder where are you looking to go? River-wise that is....PM if you need to maybe we can compare notes???
What area are you vacationing in? I am going to Cody WY, Yellowstone Park and Jackson. Friends staying in Driggs Idaho about 20 miles from Jackson.
Leaving Detroit this week and gonna make it a 2 week trip including drive time. Might even take a day and see Montana
Old 08-26-2013, 03:41 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishmich View Post
Might even take a day and see Montana
lol.. you'll need a very fast car, or NSA drones to help..
flyfishmich and yonder like this.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

My son and I will be fishing the upper, upper Madison River and the northeastern section of Yellowstone..........If you are doing the tourist thing, then I would not under any circumstances whatsoever........do I make myself clear???........miss Yellowstone National Park............the Grand Tetons is actually the most beautiful place that I have ever seen.........but as far as fishing, I need to know where you are based, as far as where you are spending the night.......we, the forum members can put you on some fish......but be aware.......you are heading towards some big country......and I mean big!!!!!!! A 300 mile driving day.......while on vacation is not uncommon..........at least not to me........but I will do it time and time again, for a shot at a 20 inch trout!!! Give me your itinerary, and I will see if I can help!!

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

After re- reading your post.........I would highly recommend the Shoshone River to the west of Cody......also, eat at the Irma Hotel.....and Bubbas barbeque on the west end has great bull fries....nice folks......and also note, there maybe gun play in the streets in the evening...don't worry about it.... Tim has a flyshop just across the street.......check it out.....In Jackson, check out the Gun Barrel for a special meal.....and by all means, fish the soda butte in the northeast section of the park.......lots of info on the web.......just watch out for the buffalo......and wolves.......and grizzlies........and above all, have a great time!!
flyfishmich likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-26-2013, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the tips.
Yeah being a tourist in Yellowstone. Second time there first time to stop and smell the roses.
The day in Montana is a quick over night since we will only have an extra 12 hours.
Once in Jackson I'm planning the gros ventre, granite hot springs, cliff creek, hoback and will try my luck at flat creek just to see it take some pics throw a fly or 12. But I might get lucky. I'm trying to combine scenery and fishing so to satisfy the photobug in me. Also going to get on the snake somewhere-pretty long river. Ill for sure hit your recommendations.
And I will post pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Oh. Here's the itinerary. Stopping in Cody for the night-look forward to the gunfight but itching for the rodeo.
2 nights in Yellowstone. Then down to Jackson. Ill be fishing from there. I know what you mean with be driving. Nothing's close. But that's part if the fun of it. Exploring. I love it. I have no issue driving a ways but ill also be partially anchored to the family. So, I'm hoping to get 2-3 days in the water. I already planning my next trip out next year. Fishing only. But when mom and dad and in laws and another couple of friends there's a few people that don't fish there.

Are there any small lakes large ponds that can be accessed with a float tube? I'd love to get on in a tube.
Thanks again all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
lol.. you'll need a very fast car, or NSA drones to help..
That's funny.
No we are just going to pop in eat dinner and pop out of Montana.
Also make me hungry for a fishing trip next year. Fishing only. Nobody is coming unless they wet a line.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 PM

As far as Jackson Hole.....I will take a backseat to others on here you will surely chime in.......I hope you have clear weather ........the tetons are fantastic......and there are some great trout waters in that area!!! Good luck and be sure to post some photos......we like that around here!!