The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 02:13 AM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough
Default Bozeman MT area in October

So....I haven't fished seriously since I got back from my honeymoon in Belize, and all I can think about is saltwater fishing. So as a substitute I booked a flight into Bozeman out of Arizona for October 10-17th. I will be staying in Bozeman, and I am going to be renting a vehicle for the week. I am just looking for a little advice:

1)There is so much water in the surrounding area, and I just can't wrap my head around where to start, and where to finish? Help?

2)How would you structure your trip if you had 7 days of fishing bliss?

3)Anyone want a fishing partner sometime throughout my trip?

4)I want to spend one day on a pay to play, private creek, any recommendations?

5)Seriously does someone want a fishing partner?

This is my first venture back to Montana in 7 years, but last time I was too focused on booze and women, and I called Butte home. So Bozeman is an entirely new venture for me and I am looking to structure a game plan, that way I am not wasting time. So any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

mridenour likes this.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Bozeman MT area in October

Do you have a full day on the 17th? I get back into town on the 16th (barring no flight delays) and could probably take you on a float on the 17th unless thats cutting it to close.

Depuy, Armstrongs, and Nelsons are probably good options in Paradise Valley and close to Bozeman for the pay to play. I haven't fished them yet but I'm sure someone will chime in that has. Also Odell over by the Madison is a pretty cool option from what I have read.

Do it yourself I would probably spend at least one day on the wading section of the Upper Madison. More crowds but everyone should grab a picture and visit 3 dollar bridge once in their life. Lot of water to cover there and amazing views.

Closer to town you can hit any bridge on the Gallatin and find water to fish by yourself. The fish aren't as large up in the canyon on the Gallatin but the scenery is pretty amazing. More Rainbows up in the canyon as well so I tend to fish lower in the valley as I prefer chasing browns and fishing alone. Bait dunkers don't stray far from the car on the lower Gallatin so if your willing to walk a bit you'll find plenty of fish.

PM me if you have any other questions.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

We fished there a few days last year. Fished mostly in the Gallatin just outside town. Beautiful area and lots of beautiful slippery rocks. I wish we would have gotten to hit it harder but the wives came along on that trip.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Depends on how much you want to drive and what water size you like. If you want to float or wade. I'd try to narrow it down, a lot of people want to hit every river they ever heard of, and spend most of their time driving. In a small radius, there's more than enough water to keep you busy.

Plus side: by October, there's not nearly as many people out there

Just the well known rivers, depending where you fish on them, these are relatively close:

Gallatin
Madison
Yellowstone
Jefferson

1.5 hour or so away:

Big Hole
Beaverhead
Missouri

Spring creeks:
Of the 3 listed above: DePuy's. It has the most water to fish, by far

http://www.depuyspringcreek.com/

You're late enough.. bring warm clothes.. very good chance of snow by then, and if it's not snow, it will get cool:

Daily Averages for Bozeman, MT (59717) - weather.com
fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:46 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the responses. I will say I am by no means a novice and have no problem fishing very large rivers to very small creeks so I really have no preference on water type! I do have a goal in mind and that is to catch BIG browns.

As for weather, spending a majority of my life in Butte I am fully aware of what October means as far as weather, not to mention I have one of Bozemans weatherman as my uncle!

The 17th I fly out at 7 so I have to be at the airport by 530 which makes a float difficult. I appreciate the offer though.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:06 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxkirk View Post
but last time I was too focused on booze and women, and I called Butte home. So Bozeman is an entirely new venture for me
Oye. Butte is definitely a good place for the booze part of your equation and I'm not going to ask about the other half! But indeed, quite different in the hundred miles from Butte to Bozeman.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxkirk View Post
As for weather, spending a majority of my life in Butte I am fully aware of what October means as far as weather, not to mention I have one of Bozemans weatherman as my uncle!
Just noticed you're from Butte...so yeah, you understand the difference. And the cold!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:35 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Depends on how much you want to drive and what water size you like. If you want to float or wade. I'd try to narrow it down, a lot of people want to hit every river they ever heard of, and spend most of their time driving. In a small radius, there's more than enough water to keep you busy.

Plus side: by October, there's not nearly as many people out there

Just the well known rivers, depending where you fish on them, these are relatively close:

Gallatin
Madison
Yellowstone
Jefferson

1.5 hour or so away:

Big Hole
Beaverhead
Missouri

Spring creeks:
Of the 3 listed above: DePuy's. It has the most water to fish, by far

http://www.depuyspringcreek.com/

You're late enough.. bring warm clothes.. very good chance of snow by then, and if it's not snow, it will get cool:

Daily Averages for Bozeman, MT (59717) - weather.com
That Depuy Spring Creek is really enticing, but's that's all private property, no public access, right ?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Correct.. like most of the well known spring creeks - all pay to fish, prices change for off season

DePuy, Armstrong, Nelsons, O'Dell, Milesnick, McCoy (before it closed)

I'm sure there's more than that
Old 08-28-2013, 02:52 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I used to really like flying into Bozeman, staying the night at the Best Western near the airport (nice bar) and renting a car. Next morning, fish my way down the Gallatin to W. Yellowstone. Book cheap hotel. Then every day for 4 or 5 days, venture into the Park to fish. Firehole is my fav, but I sure liked the Madison in September for big fish, too. Then, fish my way back up the Gallatin, stay overnite at same Best Western, and catch 6:30am flight back out. Always did it alone, and always had a blast. Especially the September trips (hate crowds as in the summer). I was lucky to have friends like Paul Schullery and Bud Lilly show me around some, too.

Gary
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I used to really like flying into Bozeman, staying the night at the Best Western near the airport (nice bar) and renting a car. Next morning, fish my way down the Gallatin to W. Yellowstone. Book cheap hotel. Then every day for 4 or 5 days, venture into the Park to fish. Firehole is my fav, but I sure liked the Madison in September for big fish, too. Then, fish my way back up the Gallatin, stay overnite at same Best Western, and catch 6:30am flight back out. Always did it alone, and always had a blast. Especially the September trips (hate crowds as in the summer). I was lucky to have friends like Paul Schullery and Bud Lilly show me around some, too.

Gary
Ditto that...stayed in W. Yellowstone for 10 days in mid-October, fished the Madison and Firehole in the Park exclusively...

Please peruse:

The Flies Of Yellowstone: A Midsummer Day's Dream, (sorry Will.)

Blue Ribbon Flies

Didn't really need to be anywhere else and yes - it snowed...

PT/TB
fredaevans likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/