The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Montana Crowds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
We fished right outside Bozeman last year in July for a few days. Saw a few people but were easily able to get water all to ourselves. Just enough other people that we could talk fishing with another angler for a few minutes every hour or so.

We know about crowds here in Missouri. Just visit the opening day debacle at one of our trout parks!

Click the image to open in full size.
Where is this and why is it happening? There must be some serious rules about when, where and how to cast, drift and god help you if you hook a fish!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:41 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Dean,
Here in Missouri we have four state run trout parks. The one in the picture is Montauk State Park. It is a beautiful park and is the beginning of the Current River. Every year in March there is opening day. The first day of the trout season in the parks. This brings out a bunch of guys that do this every year. They arrive early and wait in the dark for time to start fishing. There is a whistle that blows when it is legal to fish.

Lines get tangled and fishing is totally whack-o. Needless to say, I do not participate in opening day. After this nutso tradition is over and done with the parks have a fraction of the anglers in them and fishing is much more enjoyable. When I go to this park, however, I spend most of my time downstream in the blue ribbon catch and release area. There is far less fishing pressure and bigger fish.

As for the people that love to stand shoulder-to-shoulder every year and catch stockers, hey, whatever floats your boat!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:28 PM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Dean,
Here in Missouri we have four state run trout parks. The one in the picture is Montauk State Park. It is a beautiful park and is the beginning of the Current River. Every year in March there is opening day. The first day of the trout season in the parks. This brings out a bunch of guys that do this every year. They arrive early and wait in the dark for time to start fishing. There is a whistle that blows when it is legal to fish.

Lines get tangled and fishing is totally whack-o. Needless to say, I do not participate in opening day. After this nutso tradition is over and done with the parks have a fraction of the anglers in them and fishing is much more enjoyable. When I go to this park, however, I spend most of my time downstream in the blue ribbon catch and release area. There is far less fishing pressure and bigger fish.

As for the people that love to stand shoulder-to-shoulder every year and catch stockers, hey, whatever floats your boat!
Native Missourian here. I've got a brother in Springfield and he told about a park in his area that looks about like that on opening day.
That's nutz !
Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaker488 View Post
Native Missourian here. I've got a brother in Springfield and he told about a park in his area that looks about like that on opening day.
That's nutz !
Yeah, it is a yearly pilgrimage for lots of people...I wait until after opening day needless to say.