The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 03:02 PM

navezgane will become famous soon enough
Default Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Just got back from a three day hike/camp into the canyon. This is my current favorite place on earth. The hike into is not for the weak of heart, and the hike out even more considerable, but that's what makes the fishing so good. I'm posting scenery shots right now I took with my phone, will post fish pics later that I took on my waterproof camera when I can download them...

The fishing was great, although very hot temps.

This is looking up the trail of one of the routes.
Click the image to open in full size.

The payoff

Old 09-01-2013, 03:17 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Wow!! Been wanting to do that trip for a long time. Brutal hiking. On slopes like that, it's the downhill that would scare me the most.

Which route did you take? Warner route, the SOB route? How much fishing access of the river did you have before being cut off by the canyon? How many campsites were there in your section (I assume it's reserved, permitted camping only)? Did you reserve your campsite ahead of time or did you just walk up and get the permit on short notice? Were there bear poles for hanging your food and pack? I assume campfires are prohibited? From what I know about the Black Canyon is that it's now mostly brown trout as opposed to rainbows. Did you catch any 'bows or was it all browns? Was there any dry fly action or did you just throw the streamers at em?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that is some beautiful country, but that trail sure looks difficult. It is on my list also, but I have been dreaming of doing a float. Looking forward to seeing your fish photos and answers to countr21's questions.

Larry

Old 09-01-2013, 06:05 PM

Here are the pictures off the camera.

Some of the better rainbows and my $20 fly reel

I didn't catch any of the larger browns this trip, but they sure are pretty

A few more scenery shots

Last edited by navezgane; 09-01-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, gorgeous fish and that canyon shot belongs on a magazine cover!
That is definitely a trip to remember, congrats.

Larry

Old 09-01-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
Wow!! Been wanting to do that trip for a long time. Brutal hiking. On slopes like that, it's the downhill that would scare me the most.

Which route did you take? Warner route, the SOB route? How much fishing access of the river did you have before being cut off by the canyon? How many campsites were there in your section (I assume it's reserved, permitted camping only)? Did you reserve your campsite ahead of time or did you just walk up and get the permit on short notice? Were there bear poles for hanging your food and pack? I assume campfires are prohibited? From what I know about the Black Canyon is that it's now mostly brown trout as opposed to rainbows. Did you catch any 'bows or was it all browns? Was there any dry fly action or did you just throw the streamers at em?
This was Gunnison route, shorter than Warner but more rugged.
I would say an easy mile of accessible river on foot.
The campsites are first come basis and cannot be reserved but a free permit is required from the parks visitor center.
There are cables/pulleys to hang food at Gunnison route, not at Warner. I haven't done any of the other ones yet but they are on the list as is the north rim- this was in the south rim as is Warner.
There are no campfires allowed.
Whirling disease took its toll on the rainbows years back but they are on the rise- I actually caught more rainbows on this trip than on the last one, last year.
I think the temp had something to do with them not rising. I saw maybe a handful of rises all three days. Most if the fish were caught in the deeper runs.
Double streamers/steamer-nymphs worked well.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.

Last edited by navezgane; 09-01-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Thanks for all the tips, this is something I have been wanting to do for a long time! Maybe next year.

Larry

Old 09-03-2013, 09:59 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Beautiful area to fish in and nice fish.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 AM
mridenour

Definitely on my to-do list! I've been to the Black Canyon several times but never fished it.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:39 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Black Canyon of the Gunnison

I was exhausted just looking at those trail pictures.The fish ones revived me; now off to give this thread a 'Five Star Rating.'
mridenour likes this.