The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 05:11 PM

tom hines is on a distinguished road
Default New Member Going to Yellowstone

Greetings from New Mexico!
I just registered for the fly fishing forum, so I don't know much about how to access various information. I am retired and love to fly fish in small rivers and streams. We are going to Yellowstone Ntl Park, and it looks like I will have three days (Sept. 11, 12, 13) to fish. We will be staying in the Lake Lodge area, which I presume is at the north end of Yellowstone Lake.

A small hitch is that I will not have our car because wife and friends will be using it for transportation to good hiking, etc. If anyone can suggest some rivers and streams that I might access from that general area, I would greatly appreciate the help. I do a lot of nymph and streamer fishing and also enjoy hiking, so no problem with walking to get to some great fishing. Dry fly fishing is also fun when they are working for me. I will probably need to be dropped off at some good spot and picked up later in the day.

Thanks for any help! Tom Hines
Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Member Going to Yellowstone

Hi Tom,
I would contact the local shops or outfitters and try to arrange a one day guide trip for you. Many guides will pick their clients up from lodges. The guide will show you around. You might fish the same holes the next days, or you might get some other insight on other waters.

For those next couple of days, you might be able to get your lodge to give you a shuttle service. Arrange a drop off and pick up. Make sure to tip the driver.

Hopefully others will chime in. Enjoy your trip.

Dennis
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:15 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum Tom, great place, great people. Unfortunately can't help with Yellowstone, but I'm sure others will
Old 09-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Tom: Welcome to the forum! I'm on the road and haven't looked at the fire situation in the park in a few days, google Wyoming fire status. Last I looked there were three fires, one just west of fishing bridge that was at 11,000 acres and one on the SE arm of Yellowstone lake at 4,500 acres and then another little fire in the NE corner of the park. This time of year I would recommend fishing the NE corner of the park, the Lamar valley, you can target the Lamar river, Soda Butte, Slough Creek or Trout lake. Be sure to carry bear spray. If they haven't had frost yet, I would start with a hopper/dropper style. Maybe a hopper or large dry with a small nymph hanging off the back.

Larry
MoscaPescador likes this.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:58 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
If they haven't had frost yet, I would start with a hopper/dropper style. Maybe a hopper or large dry with a small nymph hanging off the back.

Larry
If I may, I'm going to piggyback onto this thread and ask Larry, Dean, and the other experts on this Board a couple followup questions about some fly fishing tactics. I'm still in the novice category when it comes to fly fishing, and need all the help I can get.
I'm planning on being out that way in western Montana (though not necessarily the NP) in the last week of September up into the first few days of October by which time there surely will have been multiple frosts. So can I deduce from Larry's statement that by then it probably will be too late to employ hoppers and therefor the best approach re flys will be with nymphs and streamers ?
Old 09-01-2013, 12:15 PM

Thanks for all of the "welcomes" and suggestions, everyone.
I will research the streams that Larry mentioned (if I can find a shuttle to get me there!). Here in New Mexico and Eastern Arizona, I use long nylon pants and low hiking shoes with chains to prevent slipping most of the season. The only insulated booties I have are attached to my chest waders, which I try to avoid.
I presume that I would likely get cold in mid-September wading unless I plan to use the waders, eh?

Thanks again for the help! Cheers, Tom
Old 09-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Tom...hope you get more infos soon
Old 09-01-2013, 12:47 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaker488 View Post
If I may, I'm going to piggyback onto this thread and ask Larry, Dean, and the other experts on this Board a couple followup questions about some fly fishing tactics. I'm still in the novice category when it comes to fly fishing, and need all the help I can get.
I'm planning on being out that way in western Montana (though not necessarily the NP) in the last week of September up into the first few days of October by which time there surely will have been multiple frosts. So can I deduce from Larry's statement that by then it probably will be too late to employ hoppers and therefor the best approach re flys will be with nymphs and streamers ?
Mornings will be cold, but by noon you'll probably be pulling off clothing. As odd off as it may sound the best 'outer ware' going for these conditions is a Gortex Raincoat (which you may need anyway). Amazing how warm these things are when zipped up and lightly layered below.

As for flies, think 'sub surface' until late in the day so bring a few.

Fred
MoscaPescador likes this.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:57 PM

Howdy folks,
Looks like I'm going to have to re-think this trip. Unfortunately, I didn't plan where we're staying in Yellowstone; and "Central" in the lake lodge area doesn't look like a small stream/creek Mecca! Looks to me like a 3-hour drive to good fly fishing country in the north end of the park.

Are there no small streams (tributaries?) in the central part of the park?! I really don't enjoy shoulder-to-shoulder fishing; in fact, I'm used to being the only person on the stream much of the time. Guess I'm quite fortunate here in the rural Southwest!
Thanks for any help... Tom

p.s. Perhaps I can reciprocate for someone going to NM and/or Eastern AZ
Old 09-01-2013, 04:59 PM

fishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of light

Tom, you might have your wife drop you off by the fishing bridge, about ten minutes from Lake Lodge and pick you up later at a designated time and place? Make sure you have a YNP license. Not sure how far away from fishing bridge you have to be to fish legal but someone at lodge should know?
I was up there two weeks ago with a boat and trolled for lake trout, caught 3 and a bunch of cutthroats. There is a marina two miles west of lodge where you can rent boats. I would call ahead for that option. Remember to fish barbless and lead weight of any kind in rivers or lakes is illegal in the Park.
With a car you would have a lot more options, the Firehole Gibbon and Madison are all about an hour from lodge as well as the Lamar valley options.
I live in Bozeman where most of the rivers are struggling with the heat, so I've been fishing a lot higher elevation.
Good luck
John
The fields are endless, but the cows never leave the river side, maybe it’s the fresh taste of a cold mountain runoff that keeps them close. Or perhaps they just like watching the fly fisherman cast their way down stream (like souls of fishermen past). A young calf looks at his mother, with a sideways curious expression “I love the feeling of mud running through my hooves.”

http://www.fishalong.com