The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By stenacron
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 02:35 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default 3-Rivers, Almont, CO - Aug 25-29

Just got back from a couple of days on the Gunnison, Taylor, and East Rivers... great friends, scenery, food, and weather, along with great fishing! Together we landed around 140-150 trout with about a 60/40 mix of browns to rainbows. Large number of fish in the 14-17 inch range. Hottest fly going was the Two Bit Hooker as the Baetis were quite active.

Gunnison River a mile or so below Almont... terrific wade fishing w/ public access.
Click the image to open in full size.

Typical Gunnison River, hard-fighting rainbow. Nice to see their numbers up from previous bouts w/ whirling disease.

Nice brown takes an aspiration bath in my net behind a riffle rock.

Me playing a fish on the East River. Levels were seasonally low on the East, but it was still fishing pretty well. Not many Kokanee's coming through yet though.

A reminder that fall comes early at 8000 feet... looks like this brown has been working on a spawning redd judging by that tail.

My best fish of the trip... 18~19" buck rainbow from the Gunnison that actually took me into my backing!

My buddy getting ready to chase another one down the riffle.

This year's lunker award... my buddy's 25" Cuttbow from the Gunnison on a San Juan Worm. There were enough showers in the area all week to keep the fish energized and really put them on the worm at times.

Check out this specimen from the Gunny... perfect fins, proportions, colors, etc. Exceptional fish!

So here's a bit of a nostalgic milestone... since I've been keeping a fishing logbook, this little Taylor River brown was fish #7000 for me. Obviously I wanted 7000 to be some hulking trout, but we hoisted the flask over it anyway.

Seven thousand and ONE for the road... last fish of the morning before packing up for some Death Fries at the Eddy, and then the long ride home.
mcnerney, jeepster II and calftail like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 09-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: 3-Rivers, Almont, CO - Aug 25-29

Simply beautiful Joe!
stenacron likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joe
Awesome trip, congrats! I'm fishing up on the Henry's Fork with my friend Pete from Laramie, getting our b_tts kicked!

Larry
stenacron likes this.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 AM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

how far up on the taylor did you get? i assume the hog trough was packed with people as usual?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:17 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking trip, Steny. I am jealous, not nearly enough fishing happening here in my world.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_infidel View Post

how far up on the taylor did you get? i assume the hog trough was packed with people as usual?
We had a new guy along, so we had to take him to the hog trough for half an hour to get it out of his system. We don't spend much time up there as it's kind of weird, photo-op fishing for lethargic behemoths. The fight in the fish we have caught in there rank right somewhere in between that of a rock bass and a wet sock. Record chasers like to fish there in the spring as well. Not for me.

I do like the Taylor River though... but a little further down the canyon between Crystal Creek Estate and Lotus Creek Campground.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:02 PM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

good point on the record chasers. personally i like the two or three pull outs right past the fly shop and the east river heading up the taylor. i typically see all of the hog trough fisherman on their way up the the 4/10th's and smile and wave.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_infidel View Post

personally i like the two or three pull outs right past the fly shop and the east river heading up the taylor.
That road has been torn up all summer for repair. It's closed to all traffic from just above the fly shop to the bridge past Jack's Cabin Road (where Spring Creek comes in)... real POA of a detour and it kept some of our favorite water off limits this time around.

Supposed to open up this month sometime, but it sure looked like they still have a l-o-n-g way to go when we were there.