The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 09:14 AM

jmhall87 is on a distinguished road
Default Road trip from tx

October 17-21 5 friends and I will be driving up from tx to do some camping and fishing for my bachelor party. I was wondering where to go id love to be camped on a golf medal stream, but I know that may be hard to impossible. I was looking at rmnp but I read that you can't have a camp fire, which will be a necessity. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:28 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip from tx

Not knowing what your starting point is (Texas is one big place!) try to limit yourself to no more than a 10 hour drive (one way). And that's NOT going to get you too far down the road. As an example from my front door to Hamilton, MT is 800 miles on the dot. With normal stops for take way food, bathroom, Petrol it will take 16 hours. And the vast bulk of that's on a freeway.

Pull out a road map and see where that might take you. Can't blame you on wanting the camp fire, that time of the year you can count on some pretty cool weather.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:03 PM

Sorry we'll be driving from Beaumont tx near houston. We've made the 18 hour trip up several times with just 2 drivers rotating, this time the focus is fishing not gold prospecting. We just need a place to camp with a fire ( I'm a professional firefighter I promise no forest fires) and close walkable river access oh and lots of fish in the river.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:28 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Road trip from tx

Well it sounds like you've got a good grab on your driving range. Roughly how many miles will that take you? Fishing 'there' my knowledge would be very limited, but we've got several fellows here who would be very up with info.

Fred
Old 09-02-2013, 01:00 PM

Its about a thousand miles each way. Most of the guys coming with me have 0 or very little experiance fly fishing.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhall87 View Post
Its about a thousand miles each way. Most of the guys coming with me have 0 or very little experience fly fishing.
Key info there! Would 'eliminate' some areas and move other places closer to the top. Now time the guys who are 'Boots on Ground' to join in.

Fred
Old 09-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to suggest the San Juan river, but with inexperienced fly fishermen, you might want to try the Conejos river in southern, CO. Lots of public access and camping and the river should be fishing well that time of year. Google Ask About Fly Fishing Internet radio, they did an episode not too long ago. Also do a search on this site for "Conejos", if your interested.

Larry

Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 PM

Alright thanks I'll check it out
Old 09-03-2013, 12:23 AM

jbbatok is on a distinguished road

Also look into 11 mile canyon of the south Platte. That time of year there should be plenty of campsites and no fire restrictions. Top 2 miles are C&R only , easy walk to the river and the scenery is hard to beat.
The "dream stream" is only a few miles drive away if you get tired of the canyon.