The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 01:11 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Lewis and Harks Big Hole Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
I was there in July

Last year.. October.. they were still on the chubbies too (red and purple)

You going to float or wade? Going for Grayling too, or just Trout?
We'll be wading, at least while I'm there. Dan and Lewis will be there for a week though, not sure if they are going to try to float a day. Or would be more like dragging your boat?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:13 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM! sounds like Dave took the bait John. Come on Dave, it isn't too far for you.

By the way, I forgot about the drag show at our hotel! HOLY SMOKES That was a trip for sure. I will never forget Paul's reaction..........."wow, those women are big"........"what do you mean they aren't women"?.........."Do you mean to tell me that they are Happy People"?..........that was too funny.

Thanks for the reminder.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:34 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

If I could walk without looking like a Monty Python skit.. I'd meet you there
Old 09-06-2013, 05:51 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

I sent Dean a pm with a few points of interest. It's been a few years since I was out there, wish to get back there some time soon. The owners of the motel I manage used to live in Melrose, I hear great stories all the time about the big hole.

Just remember it's about the journey not the amount of fish.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:46 PM

dmadsen is on a distinguished road

We just got back from Dilloon/Melrose. Raft floated the Big Hole last Sunday, fishing was excellent Maidenrock to Melrose. They opened the Melrose to Notch Bottom stretch today. I believe it's still closed above Dickey Bridge where the Grayling tend to be. You may just have to settle for a bunch of Browns & the occasional 'Bow. Ask for the Huckleberry dressing for your salad at the Hitchin' Post. There is maybe a decent stretch of the Red Rock between Clark Canyon & the public/private fence that could be worth your time. Just say'n. Enjoy!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:49 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Last obstacle cleared for you:

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Last Fishing Restrictions in Region 3 to be Lifted Thursday

>>
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks will reopen the two remaining closed stretches of the Big Hole River on Thursday, Oct. 3, at 12:01 a.m. The Upper Big Hole from the Headwaters to the North Fork of the Big Hole – closed since Aug. 9 – will reopen along with the Lower Big Hole from Melrose Bridge to the mouth – closed since Aug. 20. These are the last restrictions still in place in Region 3.
<<
Old 10-03-2013, 12:41 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I thought Melrose down has been open for awhile. There is just a ton of water now! Crazy crazy crazy year. The flow at Melrose peaked yesterday at 1100 cfs! It's down just under 1000 today already and should be on a nice consistent drop. Since I've never really experience a run-off like conditions in the fall I'm not sure, but a few days of steady dropping flows in the spring generally creates some stellar fishing. Let's hope the same holds true now. Water temps were down in the low 40s last week as well, I'm really hoping that all the triggers went off and the browns get on the move.

It'll be like fishing in May rather than October. Should be interesting, wading will not be as easy as I've been anticipating, but still quite good I think.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:25 PM

blackbugger has a spectacular aura aboutblackbugger has a spectacular aura aboutblackbugger has a spectacular aura about

You guys could be hitting it perfectly.
Once this storm blows through and if it stays dry for awhile the river should drop down into the 500cfs or so range which would be ideal.

Also, the Beav. is now down around 150cfs which means you can wade anywhere. This time of year it can be fantastic fishing with a really good chance at some serious pigs.
It can't be more than an hour to the dam from Melrose, which is a relative hop, skip and a jump in Montana.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:53 PM

I hope you're right bb. I've been watching the charts and the river has been dropping hard way upstream so that curve should be done around Maiden by the weekend. But it sounds like there has been some serious weather around there for awhile. Have you guys been getting too? It was pretty dry in Missou today and nearly 50.

I'll tale your knowledge of the area to heart, 500 cfs would be sweet. And I've never waded the Beav and that sounds too good. Is it a streamer deal there or standard micro nymph fare? If we had a great Sunday on the BH I'd be very willing to make the hop skip jump down there.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:06 PM

psumner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Last obstacle cleared for you:

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Last Fishing Restrictions in Region 3 to be Lifted Thursday

>>
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks will reopen the two remaining closed stretches of the Big Hole River on Thursday, Oct. 3, at 12:01 a.m. The Upper Big Hole from the Headwaters to the North Fork of the Big Hole – closed since Aug. 9 – will reopen along with the Lower Big Hole from Melrose Bridge to the mouth – closed since Aug. 20. These are the last restrictions still in place in Region 3.
<<
That's just about the time the blizzard started! I spent last night at the Lost Trail Ski area parking lot and drove down along the river to Dillon this morning. Had a nice, productive couple hours on the Bitterroot yesterday in beautiful fall weather. Hoping to get in some time below Clark Canyon dam tomorrow if the weather cooperates.