The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 9 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Henry's Fork Fly Fishing Trip

My friend Pete (from Laramie) and I just got back from four days fishing in the Island Park, ID area, mainly fishing the Henry's Fork. We took Pete's Air Stream up and camped at the Buffalo Run RV park in Island Park. Day one we hired a guide from Trout Hunters to float the north section of the railroad ranch. We found out quickly how difficult the fishing was going to be. Before we launched the guide told us that they measure a good day by each angler getting two eats (not fish landed). We each had numerous opportunities, casting 14 ft leaders with either 5x or 6x tippet depending on the fly size. The river this time of year is chocked with weeds, making it more difficult than it normally is. He told us the best time to fish the Henry's Fork is the June/July time frame, much more crowded but the river is in way better shape. Day two we hired a guide to go after gulpers on Hebgen lake in the am and then float the Box Canyon section of the HF in the afternoon. The last two days we fished on our own.
Here is a photo of Pete's Air Stream at the house all hooked up and ready to head north:
Click the image to open in full size.
Getting the boat ready to launch on the HF, the guides name was Darby. He put both Pete and I on a bunch of fish, but trying to land those big guys on 5x or 6x in the weeds is pretty tough:
The Rainbow I landed:
Here is Pete in his gangster get up with his Rainbow:
First day float lunch break:
Here is a photo of the water taken the last day down off Wood Rd access, the quality isn't very good, but you can see all the weeds and all those specks are bugs on the water:
The last day we had overcast conditions and some light rain most of the day, had this little guy land on me, I think it is a BWO, there must have been a million of them on the water, it was truly amazing thing to see:
Day two up on Hebgen Lake going after gulpers. We launched from the north shore and saw 12-15 heads come up, motored over to where the guide (Joe Bare) from Henry's Fork Anglers liked the best, there was a very good Calibaetis hatch coming off, but by the time we started fishing, the heads all disappeared despite the nice hatch. So we switched gears and put on small streamers and started casting at the sides of the weed beds, I had a medium sized Brown follow my fly right to the boat then did a refusal and that was it for any action, so we got skunked on Hebgen lake. I will have to go back for a little revenge. Here is a photo of the north shore.
We then headed over to the Box Canyon for an afternoon float. Here is a photo of the dam at the top of Box Canyon and the staging of the afternoon tuber hatch. The guide told us we had the option to nymph for smaller fish or throw streamers at bigger fish. Pete opted to nymph fish, I wanted to throw streamers. Pete landed four fish, probably the largest was 15-16", I didn't take any photos as I was busy tossing streamers. The only action I got was just as I was lifting the fly out a big Brown trout grabbed the fly, he was on for maybe a second or two and just as fast as he appeared he was gone, not sure exactly what happened, but it was exciting none the less:
Here is a photo of the north shore of Hebgen Lake:
The last two days we fished the HF on our own. The guides told us there were bigger fish down off the end of Wood Rd, but they would be very difficult to land, so of course that is where we wanted to fish. Pete ended up landing two fish in the 14" range, we both had much larger fish on. I had a true monster Rainbow jump out of the water 4-5 times as he peeled off line headed down stream to finally break me off in the weeds. Pete had 4-5 big fish on but he had the same results.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:09 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Henry's Fork Fly Fishing Trip

Great report, Larry! Great pics too! I'm ready to go fishing again.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Home waters for me, brother. You should have called..

Glad you guys had a good trip. Those Hebgen fish can be really tough, but what a great thing when you hook one. The Box Canyon has been pretty tough all season it seems, but it sure is a pretty place to fish.

Thanks for the report and pics.

Kelly.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:51 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold

Good or bad fishing aside.....this is a fun report, Larry. I love stillwaters and I've researched Hebgen quite a bit. There are some fun vids on youtube of guys pulling out bruisers all day long.

Tough with the weeds, but you still landed fish so that's all that matters. Good job.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Home waters for me, brother. You should have called..

Glad you guys had a good trip. Those Hebgen fish can be really tough, but what a great thing when you hook one. The Box Canyon has been pretty tough all season it seems, but it sure is a pretty place to fish.

Thanks for the report and pics.

Kelly.
Kelly: What was I thinking!
I sent you a PM about Liphookedau (Brian) coming into Jackson for some fishing.

Larry

Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Those waters can be trying.

No time for Henry's Lake on this trip?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great report Larry... now I see why it was difficult to land fish with all those weeds
Old 09-06-2013, 12:16 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Nice report Larry. Sounds like some real technical fishing... and then you throw those ribbons of weeds in to the mix!

Nice picture of that Baetis (Blue-winged Olive) by the way... they love weeds.

EDIT: I may have jumped the gun on Baetis... I don't see the telltale tiny "tear drop" rear wing. It's likely some type of Pseudocloeon (Cloeon)... but still a Blue-winged Olive (from an imitation point of view).

Whew! Glad I got that off my chest! :-P

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

Last edited by stenacron; 09-06-2013 at 01:21 PM.