The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 12:30 PM

jmhall87 is on a distinguished road
Default 11mile canyon hatch chart

Does anyone know where I can find a good hatch chart for this section online. I'll be going at the end of October Id like to have a few dozen of what I need by then because I'm sure a few will be "borrowed"
Old 09-07-2013, 12:52 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 11mile canyon hatch chart

jmhall;

I apologize for not exactly answering your question, but maybe I can offer some advice in terms of patterns that will definitely be productive in the canyon in Oct.

For starters, midges will dominate, so I recommend Mercury midges, Black Beauty, brassies, and maybe a Rojo. All around #20 should be ideal.

You'll also see some PMD action, so Barrs, Mercs, and Pheasant Tails/Frenchies ought to keep you on fish. All #18-22, depending.

For Caddis, any old pattern may work. Eggs, worms, maybe even a scud will work there too.

Hope you have a great time!
Old 09-07-2013, 12:58 PM

No need to apologize thanks for the tip
Old 09-07-2013, 02:20 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a couple: Hatch Chart and Report from last October.

Personally I'd call a shop or two and talk to them. If you are able you could wait till the end of September and call to get their thoughts closer to your trip date. Just be sure to stop in there when you're around and buy some stuff as a 'thank you'.

If you're staying down in the Springs you could call Angler's Covey or Peak fly shop. If you're up in Denver there are a bunch, Charlie's Fly Box, Trouts Fly Fishing, Angler's All, Blue Quill Angler come to mind.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

If you're further south check with Angler's Covey and the Peak Fly Shop in Colorado Springs.

October will be good fishing with daily BWO and midge hatches and maybe the odd ball trico hatch. You should also check about fishing the Dream Stream stretch of the South Platte just above 11 Mile Reservoir. Big browns and kokanee salmon will be running. Big rainbows will also be following the browns eating eggs.

I'd bring RS2's in grey, black, and green. BWO and Adams dries flies. BWO emergers, midges, eggs, worms, and streamers if going to the Dream Stream.

Randy
Old 09-10-2013, 10:54 AM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

^ i would second anglers covey they are some good people
Old 09-11-2013, 12:01 AM

How big do those salmon get still doable on trout tackle? I have an 8wt I use in the salt. I know literally zero on salmon fishing.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 AM

They are small, land locked salmon easily brought in on a 6wt rod. They are all right around 17" give or take, but fight pretty good before they get all lethargic and sloppy. I have caught many on eggs using my 5wt Z-Axis and 5x tippet!

Randy

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

They are small, land locked salmon easily brought in on a 6wt rod. They are all right around 17" give or take, but fight pretty good before they get all lethargic and sloppy. I have caught many on eggs using my 5wt Z-Axis and 5x tippet!

Randy
Old 09-11-2013, 12:25 AM

Hmm instresting are they c&r only?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:46 PM

In the Dream Stream yes. In 11 Mile Reservoir they have a special snagging season just for the salmon and they are catch and keep in there.

Randy