The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you use a Wading Staff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
Thanks, Fred. So the staff sort of floats around in the water about you? Or do you stick it in the rocks by your feet?

Personally, I don't care. I learned my lesson and I will never, ever go out without one again. It just makes me feel so much more stable.
Sorry BB, missed your post. I keep the handle against my middle. Need to take a step down, just move tip off the bottom and take the step. As to the 'why,' you don't need the staff until you've already gotten your self into 'deep do-do.' Just wait till you fish the 'fly only' section of the North Umpqua here in Oregon. A life experience ..........

fae
Old 09-10-2013, 09:56 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Never leave home without it! After two back surgeries, both feet with nerve damage, a new hip and six surgeries to fuse an ankle, I can't afford to go down and I don't feel the river bottom that well anymore. Just because of all of that doesn't mean I stay home. I don't wade as deep or swift as I used to, but, due to having and counting on my wading staff, I can get on my favorite rivers and still fish.

Better safe than sorry my mother used to say - wise, wise words.

My staff is a collapsible sort that I keep fully extended and tethered to me at all times. When I am wading or walking I unhook the carabiner that keeps it close. When I stop to fish, I hook it back up close to me and allow it to float behind me in the water. It works great and is always at hand.

They call it a 'trekking' staff:

Click the image to open in full size.

Kelly.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Good call Kelly; you only have to be wrong once.

Fred
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I have taken "swims" more times than I care to remember, without a staff...I carry one of these now:

The Folstaf Company

..and use it.

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 AM

Wink Re: Do you use a Wading Staff?

Just my .02 cents with fold ups ..... no one actually unflolds the darned things until they're in a place they shouldn't be. The other thing I dislike is they just (open) float in front on you, not a weighted tip sticking to the bottom.

You need it and you're trying to fish the damned thing out of the water with both hands and a fly rod 'in the third.' As John Wayne would say: 'Lots of luck Pilgrim.'
Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 AM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

i carry the fishpond collapsible one, i stick it in my wading belt like a knife, sort of. any who out of all the times I have taken it with me I never felt the need to use it, but im sure one day i will have a need to use it and that will be the day i decide to leave it in my truck
Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Just my .02 cents with fold ups ..... no one actually unflolds the darned things until they're in a place they shouldn't be. The other thing I dislike is they just (open) float in front on you, not a weighted tip sticking to the bottom.

You need it and you're trying to fish the damned thing out of the water with both hands and a fly rod 'in the third.' As John Wayne would say: 'Lots of luck Pilgrim.'
Hey Fred...since I use mine as a trekking pole from the car to the stream, mine is ready to roll. I don't think logistics is the big issue with fold ups...

1. when you jam a fold up into the bottom and it sticks for whatever reason, the darn thing will come apart as pull it free. Not too useful if you're in jeopardy.

2. at 220 lbs I'm concerned it will crumple if I really need it and lean into it hard at the wrong time.

These are the reasons I'm thinking of going to a solid staff...
Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

KG do you attach yours to your belt at all with a shock cord, or just try to stay mindful to plant it in the stream hard enough that it wont float away?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:32 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I like to think I'm pretty good at reading currents and am safe as well...but sometimes you just have to get to the other side. In cases of high water crossing I have found a proper stick to help me on my way. Never bought or carried a staff to date.

(Right now Dan, you'd have a hard time swimming in the BH even if you wanted to!)
Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_infidel View Post
KG do you attach yours to your belt at all with a shock cord, or just try to stay mindful to plant it in the stream hard enough that it wont float away?
Check out the pics and you'll see that I have a piece of flat braid attached on one end to my waders with a carabiner. It is about three feet long and attaches to the wrist strap of the staff with another carabiner. I then attach a larger carabiner to the wrist strap which I then use to attach to my waders when I'm not using the staff.

Kelly.