The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do you use a Wading Staff?

Never used to, now always do. The way I look at it is no matter how sure footed you are it just ups your game. Just a few more places in reach, if you will. These pics are from the Pit River in CA and its been described as walking on greased bowling balls... like so many other places I realize, but its one of the places with that kind of reputation.

On this trip we had 3 days, were 5 hours from home and the weather turned, and the rain really poured, but hey we were fishing! You could be walking on a flat rock or little under water grassy hump and step off into a deep pool. This is a probe first step second, not shuffle and feel safe place. The river was pretty blown out, but still lots of smalls, and all good fun!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:53 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxnichts View Post
Never used to, now always do. The way I look at it is no matter how sure footed you are it just ups your game. Just a few more places in reach, if you will. These pics are from the Pit River in CA and its been described as walking on greased bowling balls... like so many other places I realize, but its one of the places with that kind of reputation.

On this trip we had 3 days, were 5 hours from home and the weather turned, and the rain really poured, but hey we were fishing! You could be walking on a flat rock or little under water grassy hump and step off into a deep pool. This is a probe first step second, not shuffle and feel safe place. The river was pretty blown out, but still lots of smalls, and all good fun!

Gentleman just perfectly described the North Fork of the Umpqua River. Next step???????
Old 09-10-2013, 02:08 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Just my .02 cents with fold ups ..... no one actually unflolds the darned things until they're in a place they shouldn't be. The other thing I dislike is they just (open) float in front on you, not a weighted tip sticking to the bottom.

You need it and you're trying to fish the damned thing out of the water with both hands and a fly rod 'in the third.' As John Wayne would say: 'Lots of luck Pilgrim.'
Hey Fred,

See that little orange loop on the bottom of this vest and the hook and loop closure above the upper left pocket ?

That is where one puts the fly rod so they have use of both hands...If I need the staff, it is open long before I need to traverse questionable water. Never had the sections "open up" on me if it is put together properly...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-10-2013, 02:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Hear you Bro.; but don't use a vest. Well, full on day trips in a boat I'll bring a light one. I'm a 'minimalist' one fly box, a couple of spools of leader and that's it. Odd tools I need are strung together and hooked to my shirt.

I do very little that could be described as trout fishing so take this next observation with a HUGE grain of Salt. For Steelhead/Salmon I could be on the river for hours and never change the fly, save for size. Many times 'Bigger is not better.' Actually hooked King Salmon on a size 12 hook .... no contest, he won.

Most important thing I take to the beach is a 10 year old Yellow Lab. Fishing is going nowhere, cool, toss tennis balls for a 100 pounds of pure love. Feed him Doggie Cookies and he's cool; so am I as we sit on the rocks next to each other. Had Husky, but he's passed on; GOD I miss that Dog. To see him, just look at my Avatar. 135 pounds of face nuzzled next to yours and a 'Hurmmph' and back to sleep. Sandy wiggling up on the other side.

A nap in the shade of the Jeep has happened on several occasions.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:42 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

I've been very happy with my folstaf setup. I used to use it as a folding staff and wore the belt holster. I haven't broke it down in years now because I use it from start to finish. I don't wear the holster anymore. I put a shock cord on the staff with a magnet and a magnet on my wading belt. Same for my net. When I get situated I let the magnets attract. I can walk around with the staff attached behind me and it even works through a gortex jacket. When I need it I usually just pull the cord, let the staff break loose, let move down current to my side and draw it back to me.

My last time out one joint became loose several times. I have resized the joints with a lathe collet I made and it usually holds shape for a year but it has been resized so many times this one joint comes apart in a couple days. Now it looks like I am going to permanently join the segments together, extend the length six inches, and lower the magnet so it still rides high and call it good.

The only thing that really failed on my folstaf in all these years was the cork handle. I wore through the top of the cork handle with my hand the first year exposing the sharp end of the alum tubing. I machined a delrin top cap and roll pinned it to the tubing solving that problem.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:49 PM

Steve, just trust me on this one: Next go, go for a solid one piece stick.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:58 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

My story is the same as many others. I always have a collapsible staff with me. It is a cheaper model, but I use it all the time. I used to carry it only if the water was up, or I was unfamiliar with the river. The worst fall I have taken was on a grassy bank with felt soles. Now I use it on land or in the river.
busbus likes this.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:36 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I "carry" a wooden walking stick over my shoulder with an elastic cord. It never leaves, and I carry it for everything from tiny creeks to raging rivers. Makes a good leaning post too when I'm standing around waiting for a fish to rise. Its very light weight as well, and strong enough for any current. It floats behind me in the current when I'm casting and fishing. One is made by simply drilling a hole in a wooden broom handle. Cheap and effective. Another I have I picked up in a bin at some ranch store as a "walking stick" for about $10. Both are pictured. (same place, different days!)

Old 09-10-2013, 05:59 PM

left field is on a distinguished road

Same.

Broomstick drilled at handle end. Rubber bike grip over the end past hole. Shock cord fed through and tied off. Measured out an arm's length and tied another loop. That goes through my wader shoulder strap.

Water end has a rubber chair leg cap drilled on.

No weight as I want it to float as opposed to drag.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:42 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I'm 40 years young but walk like a pig on skates with wading boots on. I haven't found a pair of boots that make me as stable on Jesus on water so when I know I'm going somewhere deep I bring the staff...folstaff.

Just loop it through my wading belt and let it float.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com