The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 11:48 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Do you use a Wading Staff?

Pig on skates....now thats funny.

There is nothng funnier than watching a buddy do the slippery rock dance....whether they take a dunk or not....just hilarious. Well, hilarious when you find out they are OK. Still trying to catch my nephew on video...he is young and moves waaaay to fast...and he is 6'2 and looks like big bird...when he does the dance....I need a few minutes to recover from the laughter.

All kidding aside, I carry one if i am fishing a larger stream by myself.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:51 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Hear you WC. Good friend finally gave up on Southern California and moved here to Southern Oregon. Was a hoot to hear him talk about 'their' stream fishing. Hell of a long drive ....

First venture on the Rogue and he fell in three times. Now like me, he doesn't step in the river without his wading staff. Kind of a cool thing as he cut down a small tree, peeled off the bark, rope handle on top, etc.

You could beat a Moose to death with the thing.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:00 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Fred, you mind sharing a picture of your staff? I dont have one but for the most part Oklahoma has gravel and some rocks. Only 2 places with year around trout here, A staff would add more stability. I have stepped on a slanted rock before in less than knee deep water and fell. A staff would have prevented that one but so would have taking my time and feeling with my feet.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:02 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

I will use a staff if on unfamiliar water. However it may be time to reconsider given some of the stories in this thread. My fishing partner fell in the Housatonic yesterday, thankfully in a pretty shallow and low flow area.
Did he have a staff, No!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:43 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
Fred, you mind sharing a picture of your staff? I dont have one but for the most part Oklahoma has gravel and some rocks. Only 2 places with year around trout here, A staff would add more stability. I have stepped on a slanted rock before in less than knee deep water and fell. A staff would have prevented that one but so would have taking my time and feeling with my feet.
Good morning Sir. I'm a total Luddite when it comes to posting photos. That said I've two. The first was purchased from 'The Stickman' out of the UK, the second was from The Redshed spey shop in Peck, Idaho. Both have very good web sites. With the UK one you can do major 'Bling' right down to a bone handle.

With any solid stick you want one that comes up to at least the middle of your chest. Both of mine are 58 inches long. (for context I'm 5-11). Reason the the long length is it really allows you to 'probe' ahead of you looking for 'holes on the river bottom. The other thing I strongly suggest is a half to a full pound of lead wrap on the bottom. This keeps the 'business end' firmly in place as you wade.

Nothing more useless than a wading staff that's floating away from you when you really need same .... like RIGHT NOW!

http://thestickman.co.uk/wading.htm (Exchange rate right now $1.34 to the Pound.)

http://www.redshedflyshop.com/

Last edited by fredaevans; 09-11-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Add exchange rate
Old 09-11-2013, 11:11 AM

coug will become famous soon enough

I use a folstaff for trout fishing in mountain streams, but almost broke it in half steelheading. Bigger water, bigger boulders, and much more slime. I bought a Sharpes wading stuff from my local fly shop (Red Shed) for steelhead. Probably the one Fred is describing. Weighted so it sinks out of site when not in use. That is a big plus for me because I use a spey rod and all of that line always seemed to find the end of the staff sticking out of the water. Also solid as a rock and no way it will bend.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:44 PM

Thumbs up Re: Do you use a Wading Staff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug View Post
I use a folstaff for trout fishing in mountain streams, but almost broke it in half steelheading. Bigger water, bigger boulders, and much more slime. I bought a Sharpes wading stuff from my local fly shop (Red Shed) for steelhead. Probably the one Fred is describing. Weighted so it sinks out of site when not in use. That is a big plus for me because I use a spey rod and all of that line always seemed to find the end of the staff sticking out of the water. Also solid as a rock and no way it will bend.
Yup coug, that's the second staff in the jeep. Well, there is also an old ski pole at the moment. Well designed/built save for one thing! The lanyard around your neck/shoulder has a ring on it that goes under a very flimsy clip. BAD CALL THERE DESIGN WISE.

You get the point up stream and the handle down and the thing just pops apart. I've chased the darned thing on more than one occasion. I keep forgetting to just cut the ring off and tie off the lanyard (strong knot) just under the handle. (Dah Fred, just get off your butt and fetch the thing out of the Jeep and do the job. This is NOT Rocket Science ...... )

fae
Old 09-11-2013, 05:26 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

WOW guys,

Never expected so many returns/stories. Keep in mind that I said that I was going to be fishing the Big Hole. Did I forget to metion that I live in Boston and will be flying in? The travel dictates the model but I am very surprised about the number of you that use them. After some of the photos, I now know why. Although I don't think that I will need one for this trip, I have decided to buy one anyway. If I needed one for local waters, the one piece would be my choice for sure.

By the way, Dean_MT will not be allowed to use may staff during our trip. He has already deemed it as "unnecessary" and no such device shall be afforded to him by me if needed to access better water. He can just swim.

There!

I feel better now. See you soon John.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 PM

Hear you DH; a wading staff is the cheapest life insurance policy you can buy. First premium can cover you for life.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:52 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Confession time: don't have one, and every now and then wish I did. Gonna get one for Dad (at 74 he has problems wading over his ankles), probably get one for me as well. This ought to get tricky: carry the rod, 'lil dawg, and the staff. I'll figger it out somehow!