The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 05:47 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough
Default Do you use a Wading Staff?

Hi Guys,

So I'm heading out to do some wading on Big Hole in early October and I have a question.

I am wondering how many of you use a wading staff while wading? I'm not just talking about store bought devices...........I'm talking about the occasional stick that you use to cross a body of water to get to a better body of water. Don't be shy!

Dan
Old 09-09-2013, 06:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you use a Wading Staff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
Hi Guys,

So I'm heading out to do some wading on Big Hole in early October and I have a question.

I am wondering how many of you use a wading staff while wading? I'm not just talking about store bought devices...........I'm talking about the occasional stick that you use to cross a body of water to get to a better body of water. Don't be shy!

Dan
Dan, up to my early 50's I never bothered ... until I got 'swept away' by the current. As close to death as ever been short of 'bullets.' Now, I don't step in moving water without the weighted tip of my wading staff going in first.

The fold up things are just toys and 99% will not even open the bloody things up until they're already is deep do-do. Mine is 58" long (mid chest high) solid stick and has a pound of lead wrap at the bottom to keep it 'stuck' there. You take that last wrong step and a 300 pound man could anchor himself and 'back out' of a 'that was wrong!'

And no, I don't clock in at 300 pounds; I have trouble staying at 6' and 160.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Dan, up to my early 50's I never bothered ... until I got 'swept away' by the current. As close to death as ever been short of 'bullets.' Now, I don't step in moving water without the weighted tip of my wading staff going in first.
Yep, me too...not that I was swept away, but off balance and in trouble where it could have happened. I like the idea of a weighted staff like Fred's but mine is a less expensive breakdown model from Cabelas. I am thinking of switching to a solid wood staff and might play with a little weight based on Fred's experience...

You know...if you asked the question, you probably know the answer. I did when I started asking folks about them.

I hate stuff...I carry a darned net now because I'm clumsy handling fish without it, but I hang it off my back with a magnet gizmo and never know it's there...and a staff is like that after you use it a few times. It's just part of the drill and you find ways to make sure it's out of the way, etc without a lot of hassle...

I hate to quote my wife, but it's better to have and not need than the other when you can drown or get hypothermic. yikes!

Hope others chime in...the more that have them the less that'll get in trouble...

oh, forgot to mention...I like mine walking TO THE WATER too...a trekking pole, if you will
Old 09-09-2013, 08:08 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Dan,

Ditto here. I only started fly fishing last year but I use one. Yes, it is one that folds up but it works. Seriously, it does.

I was on a stream last December on a very rainy day. Being a noob, as well as an idiot, I wandered into the stream without the staff. No problem going across at all. Four hours later, I crossed in the same spot to go back.

Ain't it great being dumb??

The water was A LOT higher and faster than it was earlier. I wandered right into the middle of the stream like a true idiot and was immediately stuck. The stream was WIDER. The stream was FASTER. The stream was HIGHER. And everywhere I out my foot in a 360-degree area was too dang deep.

Of course, there wasn't anybody around. I don't think I was ever so scared in my life. It took me 15-20 minutes to walk 20-25 feet. It took all I could not to go mad, I swear. Well, maybe not but my heart sure was pumping hard.

Once I go across, the second thing I did was RUN to the car to get the walking staff.

What did I do first? Kiss the big old rock I was able to climb onto to get out of that mess.

Now I never go anywhere without it.

I do have a question, where/how do you hang the darn thing on you so it is not in the way all the time?
dean_mt and siege like this.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:12 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

A lanyard around your neck/shoulders, the 'pound of lead' on the bottom. Handle is about your 'belly button' for a fast grab as you fish. Serious shxt, chuck the rod at the beach and both hands on the handle.
Eddie O'Neill and busbus like this.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:21 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
A lanyard around your neck/shoulders, the 'pound of lead' on the bottom. Handle is about your 'belly button' for a fast grab as you fish. Serious shxt, chuck the rod at the beach and both hands on the handle.
Thanks, Fred. So the staff sort of floats around in the water about you? Or do you stick it in the rocks by your feet?

Personally, I don't care. I learned my lesson and I will never, ever go out without one again. It just makes me feel so much more stable.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:37 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I won't wade without a staff anymore. Mine is shock corded and rides in a pouch just behind my right hip. It's only slightly over a foot long, and goes on my wader belt when I put my waders on. It's unobtrusive, and you almost foget it's there. Then, when you suddenly find yourself in a slipery spot, on a down sloping bottom, or crossing some fast water, it deploys fast. I have used it climbing over beaver dams, and once as a cane, when I wrenched an ankle. It got me back to the car when unable to put much weight on that ankle.
Big water or just creek fishing, the comes along if I'm wading.
lacanadio and busbus like this.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:58 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Yes.
Gary
dean_mt likes this.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Not currently...but with the wear and tear my body took on the last trip, I have one on my Cabela's wishlist!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 AM

cavdvr is on a distinguished road

I carry one and use it on any water that is fast moving or I am unfamiliar with.
Helps when climbing up those slippery slopes.