The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 12:04 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Serious Water

Downtown Evergreen is flooded. The intersection of 73/74 is closed. There were some pictures yesterday of the water below the dam just ready to breach, I guess it did. Upper Bear Creek Rd is flooded/closed. Bear Creek Canyon from Evergreen down to Kittredge is closed. On a more positive note- the sun just appeared here at Shaffer's Crossing and blue skies are appearing.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Go to pinecam.com and find the 73/74 intersection and downtown Evergreen closed thread. There are some pictures of Bear Creek raging and a link to a video from Cactus Jack's.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:09 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

News this morning said that some areas received as much as 14" of rain... with more on the way! They referred to the Boulder, CO area as experiencing a "one in 500 years" flood event.

First responders from Salt Lake Valley and Park City, UT have been deployed to Colorado to assist in the search and rescue operations.

Wildfires last year and flooding this... thoughts and prayers are with those families.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 09-13-2013, 02:05 PM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

hope folks stay safe, on a brighter note, CO could really use the water in alot of the lakes up there.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:17 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
That is amazing. I've never seen a chart like that. It went from about 100 cfs to 1300 in less than 24 hours? I can even imagine that possible.
Last year, following a major storm, the Gunpowder (in Maryland) shot from a normal 70-100 cfs to over 2800 in day.... can't show the chart as the USGS site only allows the last 120 days to chart....
Old 09-13-2013, 04:24 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

I fish the BigT and CLP alot, pretty much my two home rivers. They are blown out BAD. I think the measuring stations have been comprimised possibly as the readings now seem erratic. Here is a flow chart of the Cache La Poudre:
Click the image to open in full size.

Last Friday I had a nice day on the Poudre, and flows were in the 150cfs range! wow. I've been overseas for work all week...guess I missed some excitement!

What will this do to the fish? Brown trout spawn in the fall, but I don't think they had started yet...? I can see both up and downsides for fish.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:02 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

From the Boulder "Daily Camera" online

In fact, a USGS gauge on Boulder Creek at North 75th Street on Friday morning measured a flow rate even higher than that which the 100-year ranking was based on.

The flow Friday morning was measured at 5,200 cubic feet per second, substantially higher than the 4,500 cfs rate previously measured. By 4:15 p.m. Friday, it had slipped back down to 4,460 cfs.

That gauge has only been in place for 26 years, but its previous highest flow rate ever measured was 2,050 in May 2003.

"We're looking at levels in Boulder Creek which we probably have not seen since the late 1930s," said Robert Kimbrough, associate director of the USGS Colorado Water Science Center. He did note, however, that Boulder Creek did not have a gauge that the USGS can depend on from 1955 to 1979.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that is an amazing amount of water, Boulder Creek at 5,200 CFS and Poudre at 6,000 CFS, I just can't imagine that much water coming down in either of those streams.

Larry

Old 09-14-2013, 11:43 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Dang, this flooding on the Front Range seems to have gone from the 100-year variety to one of near biblical proportions. Hang in there Coloradans, we'll have a thought for you.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:44 PM

jslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura aboutjslo has a spectacular aura about

I think the high flow for the Poudre was near over 9000cfs!! It is pretty nutty.
The rivers are bad, but really for the most part a lot of Ft. Collins isn't that crazy. Lots of full retention ponds.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslo View Post
I fish the BigT and CLP alot, pretty much my two home rivers. They are blown out BAD. I think the measuring stations have been comprimised possibly as the readings now seem erratic. Here is a flow chart of the Cache La Poudre:
Click the image to open in full size.

Last Friday I had a nice day on the Poudre, and flows were in the 150cfs range! wow. I've been overseas for work all week...guess I missed some excitement!

What will this do to the fish? Brown trout spawn in the fall, but I don't think they had started yet...? I can see both up and downsides for fish.
Seen this to often. "Mom Nature" does what she will. Rain in So-Oregon we could use.