The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 08:41 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Serious Water

I had hoped to take today off to fish but between the weather and some stuff that came up at work I changed my plans. The rain we have gotten on the Front Range these past few days has been far more than I imagined. After temps in the upper 90's and even broaching 100 occasionally just last week the rain felt pretty good. But now it is getting serious. Checked out the data for Boulder Creek at Boulder

Click the image to open in full size.

And the Big Thompson below the dam in Estes

Apparently the St. Vrain at Longmont has jumped from around 3.5 feet to upwards of 7 ft.

Hopefully the trout can weather the storm alright hanging out on the bottom, as long as the flood waters aren't too powerful. However there are a lot of people being impacted. Some people are evacuated and many are stuck at home. I hope that the people living in these harder hit areas are doing alright. Going to be a tough day for a lot of folks, and then the clean-up.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:55 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Serious Water

Yeah... I fished Bear Creek Monday, it was running 40-ish. This morning it's at almost 700 and still climbing.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:05 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

BULLETIN.....Front Range fly fishing has been postponed !!!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:35 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

That is amazing. I've never seen a chart like that. It went from about 100 cfs to 1300 in less than 24 hours? I can even imagine that possible.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:10 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

We have more rain coming and no place for it to go.

You gotta see this vid.....Teen catches fish in Aurora street | Video | 9news.com

Here are pics sent into 9 news from folks around the front range. Damage is unbelievable!

Colorado flooding: 3 killed; flood waters force evacuations, destroy roads | 9news.com
Old 09-12-2013, 07:54 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
BULLETIN.....Front Range fly fishing has been postponed !!!
I think the 3-weight isn't going to make it...
Old 09-12-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
I think the 3-weight isn't going to make it...
Don't think so either. Have you got one of these in your quiver? ......

http://flylifemagazine.com/wordpress...ey-fishing.jpg
Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Don't think so either. Have you got one of these in your quiver? ......

http://flylifemagazine.com/wordpress...ey-fishing.jpg
Ha! I could help get some of the stuck vehicles out of the water with that. We just got the automated warning that flash floods were imminent... We live up over 8000 feet, not a flood plain. If we get flooded up here, you flatlanders better have an ark or two...
Old 09-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that is one big spike in the water levels! I was kind of wondering about that when I heard on the radio that Boulder, CO was experiencing flooding and that hwy 36 was closed. This morning I heard that west of Laramie, WY has a flood watch for today. We have been getting some needed rain over on the west side of Wyoming that last few days which has helped bring the stream temps down, but not enough to really impact the flows very much.

Larry

Old 09-13-2013, 09:11 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

The news keeps coming in. Heard they are evacuating the canyon along Bear Creek between Morrison and Evergreen. The river is nearly over its banks. More rain coming.

Here is a picture a friend took in our neighborhood. This is a greenspace that provides drainage down to a local creek that feeds a creek that feeds the S Platte. There's not usually much water in the greenspace but some nice walking paths. The paths go under the bridge, probably with enough clearance to drive a truck through.